Today was the 10th day that the wine had been fermenting so it was time to strain it. The worst part really is all the sterilizing. I was going to strain mine into a large pot and then put it in the jugs, just because that seemed the easiest way to do it. So I had to sterilize the large pot, the funnel, the cup I was going to pour with, the cloth I was going to strain through, the strainer, then the jugs, tops, airlocks and bungs. Plus Phil had to drill the holes in the tops of the jugs for me because my bungs didn't exactly fit the tops of the jugs. Anyway, once I got everything sterilized, things went along smoothly.
This is what it looked like to start with. I had been just picking up the bucket and swirling it around instead of opening so I hadn't actually seen it since about the second day. It was very obvious that things were going well from the minute I opened it. The whole house now smells like a winery and, if you ask me, it is a pretty nice smell.
I am incredibly pleased and can't wait to try another one. After all, we have to make more than 2 gallons! I see the wild muscadines in the woods are setting fruits this year. I imagine they would make a very nice wine.