Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Spoon Day

You know I often say that I really want to make or try something and sometimes I get to try it right off and at other times it may be years before I actually get to do it, but it is always in the back of my mind. I can show you a web page I printed up six years ago on how to weave a straw broom, I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet but it is a project that is still waiting for that 'someday'. Today was a 'someday' it was spoon day. Phil had gotten me some wood craving knives for Christmas because I had told him that I really did want to try making a spoon. Then yesterday he brought me home a couple pieces of wood. One looked like a spoon to me.
It's not quite done but it is as done as it is going to get for today. I am fairly pleased with it.I still need to cut down the handle some more and sand it lots more. I used no electric tools on it, just my carving knives and my new hatchet.
Michelle had been coming in with her comments about how rough it looks. I asked her how many people she knew who could make a wooden spoon. She decided it looked pretty good.  Let's see, her accomplishments today were to play her new video game. Mine were 8 quarts of potatoes canned, 5 1/2 pints of apple jelly (ok, it is probably syrup but I tried ), a new wooden spoon, and several different herb seeds planted (on the windowsill ) besides the usual chores.

8 comments:

  1. Very nicely done... Spoon day that is a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your wooden spoon! Absolutely fabulous. I've always thought that syrup is an undervalued commodity - well at least thats what I tell myself whenever I attempt jellies and am less than successful.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spoon looks ideal for use when making jelly / syrup! Not many people genuinely make anything these days, so I think you can justifiably be proud of your accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm you know what my mother would do with a wooden spoon if I were a smart alec! - just say'n! I like the spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used my wooden spoons that same way and this one would have been a nice sturdy one, lol, but I also like my wooden spoons for mixing anything. I used them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow i can say that this is another great article as expected of this blog.Bookmarked this site.. bamboo spoon kit

    ReplyDelete