Sunday, October 24, 2010

Dipping Candles


 The problem with jar candles and pillar candles is that the wick burns down through the center of the candle, its flame diminishes and the only light you get is above the candle. They just aren't real useful if you really need actual light from them. Dipped or tapered candles will be much more useful in an emergency situation. They are easy to make although the process can be a bit tedious.



My dipping can is an old spaghetti sauce can which I have put in a pan that has a few inches of water in it. The wax I have in there are all just old candle wax; edges of pillar candles or small stubs from tapers. Cook it until all the wax melts. This will take a while. Even after you think it has all melted, upon stirring you will find more lumps; be patient.

It would be really nice to have a stand to set my candles on for dripping but some boxes and chop sticks will do. Tie a wick to each stick.

When the wax is completely melted, you start your dipping. Dip each string one at a time and set it back on the "rack/boxes".  After they cool a second straighten them slightly and dip again.



Keep dipping.
From time to time you will have to turn off the stove because if the wax gets too hot it the layers it puts on the candles will be very very thin. You will also have to trim the bottoms of the candle because the drips stay on the bottom and if you are making the candles the size of your wax can, like I was today, if you don't trim the drips off the bottoms your candles will get thinner and thinner at the tops.

Keep dipping.

Keep dipping.

Eventually you will have the candles the thickness that you want. Leave them to cool. Then untie them and cut the wicks.

There you have it. Perfectly good candles for the cost of some wick, that will burn great this winter when the power will inevitably go out.


5 comments:

  1. What a great idea and you made it look easy enough for a novice like me to do!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is easy. I learned how to do it in first grade. History was very important to our principal and he made sure we learned all sorts of things like this. It is easy, you just basically keep dipping and shaping. One thing that I forgot to mention though is that you do need to keep adding wax to your can from time to time to keep the depth of the wax the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely right about the jar candles burning down in the center so all you get is "top light". I used to make wooden candle holders 30 years ago as a craft show item, but no more. I garden now. When I made the candle holders, I always sold them with a glass chimney. The chimney really helps the functionality of the candles. It helps protect the flame from air motion, thereby letting the candles burn a little more evenly, and last a little longer too. A gust of air won't blow out the flame because it's down below the top of the chimney. They're very useful. I prefer the medium-tall versions, as I think they protect the flame a little more. Your post might have just inspired me to make my own candles from all the leftovers around, and make a few candleholders as well. If you have to buy wax, what type do you get? Regular parafin wax? And the wicks. Where are they available usually? Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have bought regular parafin to add to my wax before but I also once found a whole kit at a thrift store and it had a lot of wax in it. The wick I bought off of eBay.

    ReplyDelete