Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pallet Fence- Part 1

I got the idea from watching a video on youtube. I wanted a pallet fence. It would go from the house to the shed on one side and then go from the other side of the house, up the hill and then over to the greenhouse. That would basically fence off the whole back yard.
Phil brought home about eight pallets and we spent about $45 on wood, screws, gate latch and hinges today. We started work on the fence from the house to the shed. It seemed so simple in the video but it wasn't quite that simple. I have post hole diggers but they couldn't dig down in this red clay very far before hitting something. Getting things straight with the slopped ground is almost impossible and then doing the peak on the arch was a bit tricky as well and, of course, some of the pallets had boards just slightly longer than some others and they all had to be cut. However, I am very pleased with our progress so far. I did not get a chance to take a picture at the beginning as I was busy holding posts, and 2 x4's but here is a picture after the arch was done and Phil has started putting on the slats. It is hard to see with everything in the background.
Here it is after the slats were put on.
This is a better view from an angle. We still have one section of fence to do up to the shed and the gate. Hopefully it will all be done tomorrow. Then we can start collecting more pallets for the longer fence on the other side.
I want it done so that we can let Romeo out without worrying about him running after some neighbors loose dog (he thinks he is as big as they are) and I want to be able to leave the ducks out of their pen during the day without having to worry that they will be eaten by those same dogs.
We will likely paint the fence to help it last longer though I do think it looks rather nice the way it is now.

17 comments:

  1. Looking good so far and cheap to make too, wood preserver should do nicely, after its weathered a bit it should look lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried that with our grape arbor which is no longer standing anymore. It only lasted a couple years but I will be looking through the store here to see if they have something better so I don't have to paint it. Paint will look nice too...but I just like the rustic look.
      I have always wanted a fence of some kind and luckily Phil has had some decent checks again so we can afford the extra it costs. The other side will cost quite a bit more as it is a good bit bigger.

      Delete
  2. I think it looks good too. I love the look of weathered wood, though I understand it won't last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the arch and posts are pressure treated but I would just hate for the rest to rot away after all that work.

      Delete
  3. everytime i have a home building and supply order delivered a pallet gets dropped off at my homestead..i dont need a fence, but i have plans..my dogs have a huge yard with chain link fence and lots of shade trees etc... but they have managed to kill off a huge patch of grass..so everytime they come indoors they bring a lb. of sand in with them..i want my husband to use those pallets and build them a raised deck covered with astroturf over the bald spot...i think my canine companions would love it! and it sure cant make the yard look worse than it already is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be able to actually get grass to grow in the back yard but between the clay, too many trees and the ducks, it just isn't likely to happen.

      Delete
  4. Very nice it's amazing the things you can think of...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I didn't think this one up, I found it on the Internet. When you don't have a lot of money, you have to use what you have and make due with it.

      Delete
  5. If only more people would do this. Millions of pallets are probably wasted every year, when they could be put to good use. My first compost bin was made like that. I'd cover the fence in creosote to make it last.
    Now you need a climbing Rose to go over the top of that archway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about running my potted grape vine up over the arch but I am not sure it will get enough sun there. You are right though, a flower would be nicer. I'm not sure yet.
      I will look for the creosote, I didn't even know they had a wood preserver that was creosote before you posted this and I looked it up.
      These pallets just sit in piles behind the tile shop where Phil works. I am sure his boss is pleased we are taking a lot of them and using them because eventually he would probably have to pay to get them taken away.
      We now have the compost bin, duck house, pig house,butchering table and fence made from pallets plus I used some as a floor in my greenhouse.

      Delete
  6. Great idea from the use of free materials. Looks terrific, good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the 2x4's and screws weren't free but it was a whole lot cheaper than buying a fence which we can't afford.

      Delete
  7. Love that you are repurposing! I thought you'd be mounting the pallets as fence panels not taking the slats off. But your way is much more attractive! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Phil thought so too, lol, but I thought it would be a bit "tacky" (redneck) to just put the pallets up, even for us, lol.

      Delete
  8. I used an old fence board to lengthen two that hung over the retaining wallcedar privacy fence

    ReplyDelete