Monday, June 11, 2012

Making Lard

My first time making lard yesterday but it was pretty simple. I put about a cup of water in my big crock pot then added some of the fat (this is not all the fat and I will probably be making more lard later).

It cooked for several hours. I then strained it through cloth into the jars.Cooked it some more, strained some more until the fat was completely cooked and no more grease could be obtained from it. I ended up with just a little more than 4 pints of the nicest, whitest lard.

11 comments:

  1. That's some fine looking lard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes for extra savings at the grocery store and some mighty good cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the idea. I need to do more soap making as well.

      Delete
  3. another great post. I hope when I get some pigs we can use them as well as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vaguely remember my maternal grandparents doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lard looks great!

    Sometimes I go one step farther and "wash" the fat prior to canning it. I boil the melted fat half and half with water. Any impurities (tiny meat bits, etc) get absorbed into the water and the washed fat rises to the surface. Once washed, it rarely goes rancid even at room temp for extended periods of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had strained mine before putting it in the jars.

      Delete
  6. Looks really good Becky - and satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you pressure can it for long term storage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's lard. I don't understand this need to pressure can it. The stuff will last a VERY long time in the frig.

      Delete