Friday, December 30, 2011

Ranch Dressing

I know, I am posting a lot but when I am home I have a lot more time and get to do a lot more. So this morning I made the pickled onions, took down the Christmas tree and decorations, then I got hungry and thought of that broccoli in the frig and decided to make the ranch dressing to dip it in. This recipe was posted by a member on the forum here (Thanks Char) but she didn't have any measurements for the ranch dressing and I didn't take any myself the first time I made it so today I made sure to write down exactly how much I put in it.

2 cups plain yogurt
1 cup mayo
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
chopped chives or green onion
1 tsp. dried parsley (or fresh if you have it)
1 tsp. lemon juice
a pinch of dry mustard
salt
pepper
sprinkle of sugar (since my homemade yogurt is a bit sweet already, I could have done without this)
(I did not have any Tabasco that she said to put in it)

I shook it up in the jar but it really didn't mix it well and ended up having to use a large spoon to stir it up anyway.  It's excellent! Best homemade dressing I have tried so far. If you like blue cheese (I don't) you would likely like her recipe for that dressing as well.

4 comments:

  1. Becky, I think I should try this. Mmmm....
    Have a happy new year. Susan (Maa)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that dressing would be ideal for the Wedge Salad I was planning to make with the Iceberg lettuce that is sitting in my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definately going on "the list!" Thanks Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was quite surprised how good this was myself. It tastes like ranch dressing you would buy in the store only, of course, better. Now if you have your own onion and garlic powder made from onions and garlic grown in your garden, and lemon juice squeezed from your own lemon tree (maybe a meyer lemon here) and your own parsley and chives grown in your garden, and you made your own yogurt and mayo (have a mayo recipe to try but haven't done that yet), and maybe even grow your own mustard for seed to grind then this would truly be self sufficient! Well, I'm not quite to that point. It is amazing how much stuff you'd need to do just to get this one end product.

    ReplyDelete