Thursday, June 7, 2012

Things the Didn't Fail...

well, except maybe this kale. It doesn't look too bad but it IS dinosaur kale. Maybe one of those dinosaurs the size of a chicken? Actually it is probably just because this kale is in the back yard raised bed and it isn't getting enough sun. Next year I am going back to my Red Russian kale which grew fine in that spot and produced a lot more leaves.
This I found this morning. It is on the edge of the yard but basically in the woods. I can't understand how the kale can't grow in the raised bed but this squash plant can volunteer to grow in even deeper shade.
Here is yet another yellow squash that I picked today although from a different plant than the first ones I got.
Here are some of the herbs. This is basil, oregano and thyme. There are supposed to be carrots in behind them but they mostly didn't germinate so I reseeded them yesterday and put a few cucumber seeds in on the other end of the bed since they got over ran by the squash.
And here are two of the raised beds with tomatoes in them. There is one other that has just a couple plants in it. I believe these are the best tomatoes that I have ever grown although a few in the front bed not shown have some blossom end rot :( but not every tomato on that plant has it.
And last by not least, here is what was left of supper last night; some of our home raised chicken. I meant to get a picture of the whole meal but ...I ate it before I remembered.


11 comments:

  1. That chicken looks so nice and juicy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that all the time. I wanted a photo of the pizza last night, but nope. I ate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks good! Those tomoatos are big

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky,
    Your squash and the herbs look really great, especially the almost florescent green of the basil.

    I guess you should try mulching your tomato plants. I have read that it will reduce the chances of blossom end rot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that more lime would reduce the chances of blossom end rot. It is only on a few of the tomatoes.

      Delete
  5. Hi Becky! I love the photos! Everything looks so delicious! And how fortunate for you to grow your own chicken! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have a pig this weekend and some quail a few weeks after that, then there will be the other 5 chickens to butcher.

      Delete
  6. here in northeast mississippi, we get plaqued with blossum end rot...lack of calcium is the cause so have spray that gets applied to the the blossoms..so far it seems to be working and of course another way to give calcium is to add crushed egg shell/or crushed seashells to the compost/mulch/fertilizers. the calcium spray is good for other veggies too. the product is called yield booster by ferti-lome..contains 10.0% calcium chloride...and is mixed 1 tbsp per 1 gallon water. and used as a spray for foilage and fruit at least once a week for at least three sprays. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my compost that was put in these beds was full of egg shells so I don't understand why that didn't help. I had read that calcium sprays really had no affect on foliage because the plant can't actually use calcium that way and the only way it would really get it was when it was washed off the leaves to the ground. Course this was just what I had read and you can't believe everything you read. I'll add some lime or calcium anyway. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. I find that my plants do much better in the shade in Spring than in other seasons. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it just isn't as shaded in the spring because there are no leaves on the trees. My raised bed in the back yard will grow stuff in the spring, just not later in the summer.

      Delete