Sunday, April 1, 2012

Lemon Balm Bread

So I looked up some lemon balm recipes and found one for bread. I believe I have tried this recipe before as I remember that it involves a glaze on it, which immediately makes me not want to try it again since I know it will be sticky (and I don't do sticky well). So I  made some adjustments.

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened (ours is already soft)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped lemon balm leaves
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
3 tsp. lemon juice

Cream together the butter, sugar and lemon balm. Add eggs and mix well. Add dry ingredients, milk and lemon juice. Mix well. Bake in a greased loaf pan at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

It was very, very good. It has a nice light lemony taste.  I would definitely make this again.

16 comments:

  1. Becky,
    I planted a lemon balm bush out front and last summer it went crazy! But I didn't know what to do with it. I had planned to dry the leaves to use in tea, but of course, I never got around to it. Thanks for the recipe.I know what I can make now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant timing Becky as I have just bought a new Lemon Balm this weekend and can add your recipe to the list I want to try with it! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds lovely! I love using fresh herbs in breads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post... I finally have at least one recipe to use my lemon balm in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good! I used to have lemon balm but pulled it all a couple years ago - it was so invasive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, mine is spreading real good but I don't need that space for anything anyway.

      Delete
  6. Have you tried baking with other herbs too? Jane often makes a bread that includes thyme and juniper berries - it's really really nice, especially with Italian food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like basil and garlic bread and I have made a rosemary bread before too.

      Delete
  7. I just made this bread last night and it is heavenly! Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad I poked around your recipe section... my lemon balm needs using! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like another great use for my lemon balm! I made the lemon balm jelly and will post about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried lemon balm jelly but could never get it to jell. Tried it several times now :( You can also make lemon balm cookies. I have tried those and they are nice.

      Delete
  10. Have been ripping out lemon balm left and right.I hadn't really found any use for it. Will try the bread. Any other uses? Am enjoying your blog; still lots to read. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So delicious. I made lemon balm tea to go with it, and both were delightful! I had a little trouble with sticking to my greased pan, but I ate those pieces, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I added a glaze of powdered sugar, water, and lemon juice. Really added to it snd it was amazing 🤩 🍋

    ReplyDelete