Sunday, November 4, 2012

Canned Pears and Canned Pears Mulled in Red Wine

When searching for pear recipes this morning I went and checked out Mark's pickled pears which I definitely would have tried but did not have the white wine vinegar. It did, however, get me searching a bit more and I found a recipe for canned pears mulled in red wine. It was on this blog Creating Nirvana Today, a wonderful blog for canning and cooking, that I had never seen before.
I still have 4 1/2 bottles of the cherry pomegranate wine so decided to try it. I had a lot more pears than her recipe called for, however, so I had to triple the recipe and I changed a few things too to fit...me and my way of doing things, I guess.

2 cups sugar
6 cups red wine
3 cinnamon stick
whole cloves (I used about a tablespoon)

This is your syrup. Put it all in a pan and heat it to boiling then just let it simmer for 15 minutes or so.

Peel and core your pears and as you do it measure them out in your jars (I always do it this way, saves me from having any leftover, though you usually need a bit more than you measure out in the jars the first time because when you pack them you do a better job of it) then dump each jar full in a pan of water with some lemon juice in it (a tablespoon or so) to keep the color while you are peeling more. When you are done drain off the lemon water and rinse the pears a few times.

Pack pears into hot jars and spoon in the wine syrup over the top. Water bath can 20 minutes (pints).

They look lovely and the syrup smelled wonderful cooking as well. I made 6 pints.

The rest of the pears I just canned in a light syrup. Two cups sugar to 4 cups water. I added a couple of cinnamon sticks to this syrup as well. Same as above, just peel and core, put in the lemon water then into the jars and add your syrup on top but then water bath can for 25 minutes. This made 5 1/2 pints exactly.
That was all the pears but I think I made good use of them!

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think it will be as well! Fruit goes fast here.

      Delete
  2. You must try eating the mulled pears with some sharp cheese. That would be a good combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we'll just have to do that. Since we don't have the varieties of cheese here that you do, we just don't know about cheese like you do. I appreciate the suggestions :)

      Delete
  3. Peaches and red wine are two of my favorite pleasures. This sounds like it would be easy and absolutely delicious. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky! Your pears look delicious! What a nice treat this time of the year! And yes, you did make good use of them! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does look good! Spooned over ice cream sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete