Monday, February 7, 2011

Homemade Ketchup

2- 12 oz cans tomato paste
2 cups corn syrup
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup water
4 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in large pan. Stir with a whisk to mix it all together. Bring to a boil.
Turn heat down to low and simmer 20 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Put into jars and boiling water bath 15 minutes.

Makes about 3 1/2 pints. There is probably no way this would ever be cheaper than buying ketchup in the store but you could cut down on the cost if you made your own onion and garlic powder and used your own tomato paste (I am sure you could use tomato sauce but it would take a lot more boiling time.). This does taste exactly like store bought ketchup.

13 comments:

  1. Excellent! I was going to look for a ketchup recipe this week! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made a delicious ketchup from haws last autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont use ketchup much, but when I do I would hate to have to buy it. Thanks for the recipe so I can have it on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great but as infrequently as we use it, it's hard to be 98 cents a bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your ketchup looks very dark. Bought ketchup is bright red, so presumably it's stuffed full of artificial colouring agents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right, it won't be cheaper but it is another one of those cases of feeling good about knowing exactly what is in the food you are eating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love the dark natural colours, although I do have some shop bought ketchup in my home, I've never been a fan because it is so bright red.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty Cool! My have to try this one of these days, I love makin my own stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh beautiful! I never thought of making ketchup but hey.. I'm going to try after this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This does not look healthy. Who eats sugar & corn syrup anymore? Ever heard of GMOs & CANNED tomato. please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for this receipe,,,,,i have one some where and have never gotten around to making it....but i am gonna use yours now.....best benefit of a tomato is cook it....lycopene.....cook it anyway you can.....thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of homemade everything given the amount of harmful chemicals n our food today,you can never go wrong!I would however advice on the corn syrup which is non-beneficial to your health.GMO corn has made it's way into corn,soy,cotton seed and oil,papaya,beet sugar,tomatoes, and others.Please be aware!Try organic and natural means of sweet.To your health!!I've been looking for a ketchup recipe and this sounds great with the exceptions mentioned.Thank you!

    ReplyDelete