Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cranberry Juice and Jellied Sauce

I believe I have told how to make the juice before but am not sure why I didn't tell how to make the cranberry sauce since it is done at the same time. Cranberries were finally marked down at the store to a dollar a bag (last year I got some for a quarter a bag, and these will probably go down again if they don't all get bought). I got 5 bags this time. I washed them, picked through them and then put them all in my 16 quart stock pot. I added 6 cups of water for each bag so 30 cups. I then started them cooking and waited stirring them occasionally. After 10 minutes or so the cranberries started to pop. I let it go for a little while longer until a lot of them had popped. I then strained it all through cloth into another large pot (do not squeeze or mash the berries).
I added 1 cup of sugar per bag of cranberries and stirred it until all the sugar was dissolved.  That's it. The juice is made. I put some in a pitcher for us to drink right away.
The rest was put into quart jars and water bath canned for 10 minutes. Altogether there was 8 quarts of juice. 
Now for the jellied cranberry sauce. The pulp from making the juice was put through the strainer. 
It was then put back in the pan with 1 1/3 cups water per every 2 bags of cranberries (you figure it out if you want to I just used my cup and measured twice and then half again). Add a box of pectin and bring it to a boil stirring almost all the time because the sauce is easily scorched. 
When it boils add 1 cup of sugar for each bag of cranberries. Bring to a rolling boil and boil 1 minute. Jar and water bath can 10 minutes. 

Five pints (I ran out of pint jars that is why there are a few half pint jars there). I am quite hopeful that they will jell since I was able to make some last year that did. This makes some really good jellied cranberry sauce and it is nice to be able to have it for other meals besides Thanksgiving.

25 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing! Am going to watch for our cranberries to be marked down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every have a moment when you think, "Geesh, I'm an idiot"? I just had one ready your post. As embarrassing as this is to admit, my husband drinks cranberry juice every day and at almost $4 a bottle, this never once crossed my mind. First thing after work tomorrow I'm going to go buy all the marked-down cranberries I can find and can em all up into juice! Thanks so much for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Lord, where is my mind? ^ Did you see all these errors? I need to stay doin one thing at one time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's 5 dollars well spent I reckon. What weight is a bag, BTW? We buy Cranberries in little bags - 250g I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe the bags are 12 oz. but they might have been a pound. I threw them away and the bag is already gone so I can't look. I'll look next time but I am pretty sure they were 12 oz. bags.
    Mandy, I have only been doing this a few years. Don't throw away that pulp, make the cranberry sauce! It is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really glad you did this post... I have sooo many bags of cranberries in my freezer, a friend just gave me a whole box of bags Friday! I've got to get me some more pectin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It can be done without pectin as well by heating it to the jelling point but I just find the pectin more reliable and when it comes to jelling something I need all the help I can get, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try a batch without the pectin, see how it does, til I get some more. I just put 30 bags (thats how many were in the box) of cranberries in the freezer

      Delete
  8. Looks delist, I don't think I have ever seen cranberries for sale here in aust. But if I ever find some I'll give it a go. My daughter loves them

    ReplyDelete
  9. My local stores didn't even have cranberries for Thanksgiving, but I found some in a store 75 miles away, marked down after the holiday. I hadn't thought to make juice, great suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cranberries, but it seems that you guys in the USA grow pretty much the entire world's supply. I've never seen any fresh over here in Australia, and they'd definitely never be marked down. I guess I'll have to remain reliant on my Ocean Spray stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two products from one batch! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll tell you this too. The cranberry juice that I make this way does not leave you with that dry taste in your mouth like the juice in the stores. I am not sure why but mine actually quenches your thirst instead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the colour. We don't get fresh cranberries here at all - the climate just isn't right to grow them, so I'll just look longingly at yours if that's alright.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the shiny color of your cranberry sauce and juice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea...I'm all over it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will have to see if there are any cranberries left at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Becky,

    We don't drink much cranberry juice, but like cranberry sauce. Do you think you could just substitute the juice, without adding sugar to it, in for some of the water in the cranberry sauce? Seems like it would work well to me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, you can use juice or water in the cranberry sauce. I just wanted to save all my juice for drinking :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Becky,
    I thought so, made sense to me, glad for a second.
    Mary in GA

    ReplyDelete
  20. could you use bottled cranberry juice to make cranberry sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Do you really need to add the pectin? I made jam last year using wild lingonberries(very similar to cranberries, n taste and pectin content) and as long as I boiled for long enough there was really no need for pectin, it jelled just fine. Another suggestion. Try replacing some of the water with fresh orange juice. So good!! I like to add a little cinnamon as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried making jam without pectin and it more often than not fails especially with store bought fruit since the natural pectin has been washed off. I don't regularly keep orange juice since I can't grow oranges here.

      Delete
  22. I was hoping for a reply to this same question! I'm gonna give it a try using the pectin method and another using cornstarch. If successful I'll post results.

    ReplyDelete