Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pine Needle Basket Part 2

Another hour or so worth of work and we have gone from this:

 To this:

By now I am adding six more needles about every other set of stitches. I can tell just by feel if I need more needles or not. It is important to keep the needles (I think of them as straws) wet/damp and the thread tight. It isn't going to be perfect. I am not looking to make a work of art here just a usable basket but I do admit that I love the look of these and am pleased that I can make them out of pine straw which is free and so plentiful here.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is fantastic. Can't wait to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so interesting, would you consider posting the instruction?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to make pine needle baskets years ago. It's nice to see someone still doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patty, ummm, I thought I was, lol.
    Ok, I learned from this site:
    http://www.nativetech.org/basketry/coileast.html
    Maybe that will help; but if you put "how to make a pine needle basket" in your search engine you will come up with all sorts of tutorials and videos.

    ReplyDelete