Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Canned Turkey

There is still some turkey left so I canned a few jars of it to save it for other meals and so it won't sit in the frig and go to waste. Pretty simple task, I just cut it up in chunks, put it in the jars, added a little salt, filled them with boiling water, used a knife to get out the air bubbles, added the lids and pressure canned for an hour.
Now we have eaten off the turkey (some for breakfast, lunch and dinner) for two days and here are three more meals of casserole or soup sitting in these jars plus there is still a leg, wing and some thigh meat left in the frig. 5+++ meals from one turkey is not bad---plus all the stock. It was not a really huge turkey something like 12-15 lbs I think.

6 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the Christmas turkey in our house when I was young - so big that we ate turkey, turkey and more turkey from Christmas until about mid-January!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, seems like they were always 20-25 lbs then and up. Now they are so small!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that you are canning turkey, my friend has been canning turkey for the first time and just started canning Pike. He is now going to can some Bison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd rather have the pike and bison!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't even know you could can turkey. Wow. How long does it last?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummm...years. Just like anything else you can. You can can any kind of meat or fish.

    ReplyDelete