Monday, April 18, 2011

Let's Make Cereal

This makes a large batch.

7 C. whole wheat flour
2 C. sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
4 C. sour milk (add 2 T. vinegar to milk)
4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract

almond slivers (optional)(any other nuts can be used as well)

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (I forgot my almond slivers until after I had already put it on the paper so I put them on top and just mashed them in with a spoon.

Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Allow to cool or if you are impatient like I am just burn your fingers crumbling it now.

Now the crumbled mixture you have to spread out on several sheets (mine took 4 sheets, two fit in my oven at the same time) and cook it on 300 degrees for about an hour, turning it now and then and making sure it doesn't burn. You want it to be completely dry. After that you can grind it up some more in a food processor, blender, whatever or you can just leave it like it is. (I found my food processor made too much of it into powder even with just a few whirls so I left mine the way it is).

With a little honey and milk these are really pretty good. I don't imagine you would eat as big a bowl as cereal from the store though as it is a bit more filling.

7 comments:

  1. Actually, that looks like a delicious dry snack food too. Making your own cereal. Very ingenious! Let's you keep all the additives out of it. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really has a nice taste. Not exactly sugary like the store bought, but like I said, with a little honey (I really like honey, lol) and maybe some strawberries or blueberries from the yard, I think it would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good. I make us a granola cereal with dried raisins or cranberries (I love cranberries).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have some raisins. I thought about putting some of those in this mornings cereal but didn't. I ate it plain this morning. I have blueberries and strawberries I can add to mine too. I even have some dried banana chips that might be good in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well done, Becky! commercially produced cold cereals can really eat into a budget...so much cheaper and often better-tasting to make our own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky, how about storage methods? Do you keep some in canning jars to stay fresh? What storage method do you use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this in two plastic canisters with screw on lids. If it is dry enough that should be fine. It made the equivelant to maybe 3 or 4 boxes of cereal so it really won't be around long anyway.

    ReplyDelete