Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pork Burger

Yesterday it was time to do some meat grinding. I had two large bags of meat pieces that I had to make into something, and I had a whole two hours in between taking Michelle to school and taking myself to work. I got out the little meat grinder that I got from the thrift store and got started. 
We all have gotten a bit bored with eating pork. I tend to not be too adventurous with my cooking now that I have to take Michelle to school in the mornings. It really chops up the few hours I have in the morning into "unusable" pieces so I tend not to get a lot done and supper has suffered because of it. So I decided to kill a couple of birds with one stone. I ground up the first bag and put some in a bag just the way it was to use in stroganoff instead of hamburger (which I don't have). One bag of pork burger:

I took a couple pound of it to make a meat loaf. I added bread crumbs, onion, pepper, eggs and homemade ketchup.

And I took some of it and made it into meatballs for spaghetti or subs. I added bread crumbs, egg, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning. 
The second bag of meat pieces was all made into sausage. I made the spices sausage. I have already posted the recipe for it but it involves brown sugar, salt, pepper,thyme, sage, rosemary, cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes. Sorry I forgot to take a picture until it was bagged and in the freezer but there are 5 bags, each with 4 patties in them  (Last time I piled them on top of each other in the bag with waxed paper between them. That was a mistake as we could not get them apart again). 
A little clean up and then it was time to go to work. 

13 comments:

  1. I love ground pork in soups too. I make a cabbage soup with ground pork (usually, sometimes I use ground turkey). Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try that one too. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Hi Becky! The meatloaf sounds delicious! Let us know how it turned out! And the Italian meatballs, doesn't get any better than that! Love me some Italian sausage! You got a lot done in a short period of time! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got Michelle with it. She has not been eating ANY of the pork. Today she says, "We should have meatloaf more often it was delicious!" I laughed. She said, "You put pork in it didn't you?" LOL, it was all pork.

      Delete
  3. Sure got a lot done in those 2 hours! I wish I had your energy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was necessity and my energy at the time didn't really count, lol.

      Delete
  4. A good illustration of many of the different things you can use ground pork for. Now I want to see pictures & recipes for the finished dishes please. Meatloaf is not a well-known dish here in the UK, but if it were made with REAL pork like yours, I reckon it could be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we ate the meatloaf already and I don't really use a recipe. I put in the stuff that I listed. The meatloaf usually gets two eggs, maybe a quarter of an onion. I think I put in two Jimmy Nardello peppers, I squirted the ketchup all over it and added bread crumbs until it "looked right" (sorry). It is then baked for about an hour (350 F.)

      Delete
    2. Oh and usually they are made with hamburger, but the pork was just as good.

      Delete
  5. if you are lucky enough to have some venison on hand...and your ground pork mix the two meats and you will have some of the best tasting venison burgers or venison meat loaf. venison is low fat and needs the addition of fat for flavor and tenderness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had some venison on hand, we would really be in trouble. Phil hasn't even gotten his hunting license this year. I wouldn't know what to do with the meat if he actually got a deer. We still have full freezers even after eating at the pork for 3 weeks.

      Delete
  6. Next time use waxed paper in a different way. I take a rectangle--6x12" or 5x10"--whatever size you need. Put the patty on half of the rectangle, and fold it over. Store each patty in its on wrap. That way, the other burger above or below won't stick. I do this all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually fold it over but if I was going to wrap them separately, they wouldn't need any waxed paper.

      Delete