Sunday, September 23, 2012

Pear Sauce and Vinegar

Here is the pear sauce that I made. I had just over 6 lbs of pears from the yard sale yesterday. I was just going to cook them and run them through the strainer but I saw Bama Girls post at Wisteria and Roses and I just had to try the pear vinegar myself, so I peeled and cored the pears.
The peels I and cores I put in quart jars until I had enough for two and then added the vinegar and water. We'll see how it goes. These don't have lids on them, just the paper towels.
For the pear sauce I just cooked the pears until they were soft when poked with a fork. I, then, mashed them, added a sprinkling of cinnamon and approximately 2/3 cup sugar and then water bath canned. It really smelled wonderful while cooking.

I hope I can get more pears this year!

7 comments:

  1. Pear vinegar? Does that mean you're going to discard the pears thenselves? Pickled pears are lovely, you should try making them too. (There's a post somewhere on my blog about that...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vinegar is made from the peels and cores. I have not had pickled pears before but pears are good any way you make them. The ones I had were very firm (hard) though so I thought the sauce would be good.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good Becky!, I look forward to how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky! I'm thrilled you tried the vinegar! You should notice the 'mother' growing on top in a couple of weeks, maybe longer. The pear sauce sounds good too. Pickled pears? That's a thought! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky you are a hive of actvity.I will have a go at making pear vinagar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pear vinegar... Interesting.. Could you please tell me how it tastes? I have about a kilogram of pears at home currently and I am drawn to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete