Saturday, September 8, 2012

This and That Saturday


Sliced the last two chunks of the first pigs bacon. It made 5 very generous packages (because I only had enough on the roll to do 5 packages), vacuum sealed and after taking out what we want for supper tonight and tomorrow night and the ice in the small freezer were we able to get the bacon in the freezer because once you move something it NEVER goes back in the same way. Finishing up the lard today from the pig we just did. Looks like it will come out to just under 9 pints of lard from that one big pig.
Phil moved out some of the manure from the pig pen down to the garden though there is a lot more to go. I picked up some broccoli and cabbage plants today that need to go in two of the beds down there but I want to get some of the good soil from the pig pen on them first and let it set for a bit first. For some reason all the plants that Wal-mart had were Packman broccoli, Waltham cabbage, some lettuce (I would never buy lettuce starts) and collards (nah). I wish they had more variety. I do have some seeds coming as well so hopefully I can get something started in time to plant.
We are supposed to get some cooler weather tomorrow -yes, 80's is cooler for us--and we are really looking forward to it. We will be smoking the bacon tomorrow and trying to move some more manure so cooler weather will definitely be welcome.
We, of course, went shopping as well and potatoes were on sale this week for 10 lbs for $2.97 so I have 20 lbs of potatoes to can as well. I kind of wanted to get a couple of those meat birds killed, skinned, pressure cooked and canned but I am pretty sure there aren't enough days to our weekend for all that....

13 comments:

  1. I am exhausted just reading about it all never mind doing it! Hope you are feeling better now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am slowly getting over it. I still wake up trying to clear my throat in the night. I was up for 2 hours last night but it isn't nearly as bad as it was. Right now I am mostly lounging, lol, ladling lard into the last jar from time to time.

      Delete
  2. wow, busy saturday! just had a good catch up on your blog, you have been busy, it all sounds great - you guys are an inspiration to other self sufficient wannabes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really think of myself as all that self sufficient. Seems like my parents were way more self sufficient when I was growing up. I am always wanting to surpass what they did but it never seems to happen. I can't have an acre garden here, I can't make maple syrup here but then they never had a pig and lard either. Maybe if I get bees, a goat and a decent garden growing, I will feel self sufficient.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post Becky I get tired just reading about all the work you and Phil put in

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, you have been busy. I'm in a bean canning mood, I guess. I didn't realize how many bags of dried beans I had so I decided to do what I intended when I bought them all. So I canned 4 quarts of navy beans last night. I love to dump a jar of those over some kielbasa or smoked sausage that I've cooked in a skillet. Makes a really fast and easy meal without the hours of cooking. Right now I have 8 pints of black beans in the canner. I still have some chick peas and navy beans that need to be done but maybe tomorrow. I need to get some other things done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky, Your energy never ceases to amaze me! And even when you are sick! That 'crud' takes a while to get over! I'm not too happy with our WM selections, either! How fortunate to use the rich dirt in your garden from the pig pen! I am looking out for some potatoes to can as well! I hope to can some of the sweet potatoes we got from the Amish country. Yes, 80's are cooler for us too! Enjoy the cooler weather! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our grandson's hog is back from the butcher...this year they sent much more fat...I guess they knew I wasn't kidding when I double checked on the last pig! I won't be rendering lard until it gets cooler...I just went ahead and stuck it in the second freezer. I save my veggie dehydrating and lard rendering for the Winter...keeps the house warm! Glad to hear you're getting over the "crud"...haven't had it yet, but I'm sure it's heading our way...lots of sick kids at school...no way to escape the germies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good price on the taters...i have started dehydrating potatoes instead of canning them..takes up less space and easy to cook later although i do can "new" potatoes...it sure makes sense and cents to me to do this cause they seem to go bad so quickly these days. i researched all i could on rendering pork fat and beef fat and then i noticed how expensive lard was at the grocer these days...guess i am gonna go see my butcher and have him save me up some fat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a whole thing of dehydrated potatoes that I never use. Canned can be used for a lot more things, dehydrated has to go into liquid which means just soups and stews mainly.
      Lard from the stores has a whole different smell. My homemade has a very nice smell to it, hard to describe but nice.

      Delete
  8. Hi Becky,

    Glad to hear you are on the mend. Weather here in Wale is due to break this week though for us the high has been 20/22C-so just a bit cooler here!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So Busy! That's a good thing. The Packman broccoli did very well here and is still producing enough for a generous side dish (or stirfry) once a week. I'd get it again. Happy smoking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed our Packman broccoli last year. Its side shoot production was prolific. We are cooling off here as well; we'll be in the low 90s all week...lol!

    ReplyDelete