Thursday, April 5, 2012

Lunchtime!

Well, no, it's not lunchtime yet but what I am bringing to work for lunch was almost totally produced here.
Lettuce, green onions, snow peas and one little radish. Yes, of course, we are talking about salad here. The snow peas are from the back yard raised bed and the rest are from the lower garden raised beds. The peas are doing really well but this second set of radishes look like they are going to go to seed (as you can tell) before they ever make bulbs. The lettuce is not heading up but it could just be because I keep stealing their leaves. It really doesn't matter as they won't have time to make heads before we get too hot and they go to seed.
Here is the finished product with some eggs from the chickens (quail eggs are better but I just put a big batch in the incubator). I could have topped it off with some homemade ranch dressing but I won't tell you I did something just to look more self sufficient. I am completely addicted to Ken's Creamy Caesar and Roasted Garlic dressing (and I happen to have several bottles that I picked up on sale) so that is what went on this salad.
Breakfast, by the way, was the last few pieces of the lemon balm bread. I have a few other recipes for lemon balm that I want to try but I may have to make the bread again this weekend too. Just because I like it so much.

10 comments:

  1. Much healthier (and nicer) than McDonalds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are few greater satisfactions than truly feeding yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I think that I'm going to make myself a nice fresh Caesar Salad for lunch! I have a great Caesar dressing recipe that you absolutely have to try! Then we shall see if you are still addicted to Ken's :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks terrific! I wish I could have chickens. Not likely in my urbansuburban environment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! What a great feeling to be able to make this from scratch, start to finish! I found your blog from the Thursday Kitchen Cupboard. Will be back!!
    ~~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful home-grown salad!
    Makes it taste that much better doesn't?
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. My lemon balm died on me this winter...I miss it. I would crush a few leaves and pour my hot tea over them and it made the best tea east of the Mississippi. Your salad looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks absolutely delicious - seriously yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Becky, the salad looks good. Everything tastes so good when you have a hand in producing it. HAPPY EASTER.

    ReplyDelete