Thursday, July 5, 2012

Carrot Canning

I have two posts for you all today and I was going to do it all in one post but decided some people might want to see the carrot canning and not the quail butchering so I'll do it in two.
I didn't need any more carrots. I have plenty of baby carrots canned already but when I left the Club on Friday I was given a whole bunch of carrots and broccoli that the kids hadn't eaten. (Sorry pictures are still being done with the phone).

They know I have animals and they give me whatever is out of date or looking a bit off for me to feed to the animals. These however were perfectly good, they just wouldn't last through our week off. I did not give them to the animals. The broccoli I blanched and froze and it made two bags/meals for us. The carrots, however, were waiting for me this morning (when I remembered them). I could have saved myself some work and just canned them like they were but since I already had many jars of whole baby carrots, I decided to slice these.
I, of course, couldn't find the canning book that I usually use but I found my Ball Blue Book so all was well. Then I went looking for jars. I thought I had a bunch of pint jars but had to really look to find 9 of them to make a canner full.
There were a lot of carrots. My first pan didn't turn out to be big enough and I had to get another.
I'm not going to go through the whole method, you can read that in any canning book. I'll just say I hot packed them put them in my assorted jars and pressure canned them the 25 minutes.

There were still enough carrots left that I had to get a ziplock bag and freeze one bag.

7 comments:

  1. I can carrots, too! Not many folks do. I get mine from the school...we always have "baby" carrots leftover at the end of the week. My staff and I split them up each of us get a fair share. One of the gals feeds them to her rabbits. Mine go in jars if they look ok...the rest to the chickens and the hogs. I feel so much better that they are not going to the landfill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I hate to see them wasted if they are still good.

      Delete
  2. wow canning carrots already. Mine have just started to grow..lol I usually freeze my carrots but I think I will have to try canning this this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "No carrots were harmed in the making of this post"... How come you shield vegetarians from seeing the slaughtering of quails, without shielding meat-eaters from seeing the demise of those lovely veggies??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to meat a meat-eater who wasn't a veggie-eater as well :)

      Delete
  4. A treat to see real self sufficiency and with photos as well, it`s the real deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have been trying to be more self sufficient since I started the first Simply Self Sufficiency forum 11 years ago. I believe this year I have done more and learned more than all the other years combined. It just happens that more things were available to me this year than those other years. However the name Simply Self Sufficiency was always flawed. It make it seem like this is easy and there is nothing easy or simple about it. It is a lot of work, the difference is that it is work that is enjoyable and satisfying.

      Delete