Sunday, December 4, 2011

Zucchini Salsa

So in the midst of all my potato canning today--(I am so sick of potatoes after 12 quarts!)--I kept seeing other vegetables that needed using up. There is, of course, the summer squash still in the frig and I plan on having some of the yellow squash with supper but that still leaves several zucchini. I also saw two big tomatoes still sitting on the table that weren't going to last much longer and two peppers in the frig that also weren't going to last much longer. Well, what else do you make with tomatoes, peppers and zucchini but zucchini salsa? This was a recipe I stumbled on when I first started canning. Here is the original recipe that I posted on the forum ages ago:


1 zucchini peeled and chopped
1 onion chopped
1 can tomatoes (whirled in blender)
1 can diced tomatoes
2 or 3 jalapeno peppers or your choice of hot pepper diced
1 tsp garlic
Salt to taste

Saute zucchini and onion until soft. Add remainder of ingredients. Simmer 30 minutes. If you are not going to eat it fresh,place in hot jars and boiling water bath 15 minutes. 
 
Now this recipe wasn't going to quite work for today but I expanded on it and made it work.
 
I cut up 2 of the zucchini, the onion, popped the two big tomatoes in boiling water and got them peeled and chopped up, I cut up both of the green peppers and put them in along with a little chopped red pepper that I had in the freezer, and a large yellow hot pepper that also was in the freezer, then the tsp. of garlic, salt and I added about a tsp of lemon juice (just in case). I sauteed all this and then added one can of whirled up tomatoes (mini-chopper again) and simmered it for the half hour.
I then put it in the jars and water bath canned for the 15 minutes.
Like I needed more work but the peppers and tomatoes didn't go to waste and I used up a few more of the zucchini.

4 comments:

  1. Nothing's ever wasted in your house, Becky. I'd be afraid to sit down, just in case I ended up in a cooking pot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, good company is never wasted here either but they don't end up in the pot :)
    I do hate waste. When I was a kid nothing was wasted simply because we never had enough, now I just can't stand to throw out anything that was useful. Beside even though most of this stuff was bought on sale or marked down, it is still a loss if I don't actually use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just for the record: Jane has a Papua New Guinea cookbook, which does actually have recipe for "People"! I guess it's not so long ago that cannibalism was eliminated in that part of the world...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll pass on that one. People are carnivores and I imagine the meat would be tough :)

    ReplyDelete