Sunday, December 4, 2011

Potatoes!

Yeah, I am posting again, scroll down to see the other ones I posted today. I suppose I could schedule this one to post tomorrow but I am excited that I found these (I'll save the " cutting up the turkey" post for tomorrow :)
When I went down to the compost bin to throw in all the veggie scraps and potato peelings from today I noticed that the frost had gotten to the potato plants that grew by themselves this year in the old compost pile so I decided to dig them up. I really didn't think there would be any real potatoes there but I got a bit of a suprise--now these are very small potatoes but they are potatoes and were completely free since I never planted them, watered them or fertilized them. All I had to do was throw the potato peels in the old compost pile and then dig them up today.
There is at least enough for a couple of meals here. I believe we will have new potatoes and squash with our chicken tonight. 

2 comments:

  1. Well now, that's the best way to get potatoes! Free! Compost does work wonders, doesn't it? They look nice!

    ReplyDelete