Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Potato Soup


There is probably nothing better on these cold miserable days- and it has been cold and miserable here--than soup. It is 18 degrees F. this morning and I woke up thinking, "We're having soup today".  I made turkey soup just recently, I made lamb soup from the leftovers of the leg of lamb. Both were great but we needed something different today. There was a pound of bacon in the frig that we didn't get to eat this weekend and I still have plenty of potatoes so potato soup it was.
I cooked up the bacon an put most of it in the crockpot (yeah, so I saved some for my breakfast) with 4 quarts of my canned potatoes, one onion cut up, some milk, a little butter and some salt and pepper. (The above picture is of it uncooked as I have just started it.). It is going to cook all day and I doubt it will have to be thickened. By the time we are ready to eat, we'll just sprinkle a little shredded cheese on it and eat.  

8 comments:

  1. That soup looks delicious! I am going to try making some today as well.

    By the way, I absolutely LOVE The Colony posts! I've been reading it at night for three days instead of watching TV! What a tremendous way to learn! Congrats to you!

    P.S. I'm even keeping notes on what could improve the situations! It is an excellent training tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really love the Colony posts. We have learned a lot. I for one never realized that I had a LOT of candles but no matches (or lighters!). NOT GOOD!
    Feel free to join in on the colony post and give us advice. When we reach day 60 we will be starting again with what we really have in our houses on that day. We should do better the next time but I am sure we will find different things that we still need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!!! That looks wonderful! I love potato soup. I usually use a chicken broth base. I'd love to know how you can your potatoes - that's one thing I haven't canned yet! I made a big batch of beef stew for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is my blog post on canning potatoes:
    http://simplyselfsufficiency.blogspot.com/2010/09/canned-garlic-onion-potatoes.html
    The soup was pretty darn good. Out of that big crockpot full, there is just a small bowl left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did it. I made the soup and it was great! My son took the last quart of it home to his wife and their little 19 month old daughter. This is one I have to put in a recipe collection of what I can cook besides meatloaf! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out the following:

    http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/store/ksu_cupboard.pdf

    You might modify practices exercised during "The Colony". Or you might not. During stressful times you would have more pressing issues to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the link! I am going to post that on the group as well.
    I am glad you liked the soup but really had no doubt. It is just so good.
    By the way, I tried your "shampoo" recipe with the baking soda and vinegar. I am going to experiment with it for at least a couple weeks. I have a post about it on the group. I will do a blog post after the two weeks is up.

    ReplyDelete