Thursday, December 9, 2010

"Not" Apple Jelly Waffles

Part of being self sufficient is all about using what you have and not being wasteful. So last time I had apples I had made another batch of apple jelly which also didn't jell. It sat on the kitchen table the three weeks and never was anything but apple water. So I tried redoing it. It is now slightly jelled but could never be called jelly. I myself, would never throw anything away that I put 7 cups of sugar in. Something that sweet and good tasting has multiple uses. I can see myself pouring it over ice cream, adding it to smoothies and , getting to this post, cooking with it.
So today was waffle day and the recipe had to change because I was going to use up some of that apple "not" jelly. So here is your recipe for:

"Not" Apple Jelly Waffles

4 cups flour
1 pint "not" apple jelly
1 cup oil
8 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Appoximately 1 1/2 cups milk

Mix it all together. Add more milk if needed to obtain the right texture but this will likely be a thick batter anyway, mine was, depending on how thick your "not" apple jelly is.  Cook waffles on your waffle iron as usual. These definitely are a fluffier waffle than I am used to but had a really nice light apple flavor. I could post a picture here but all waffles pretty much look the same. Everyone really liked them and this may be how all our "not" apple jelly gets used up.

2 comments:

  1. Boy! Your first sentence really says a lot. Stick with that and a person will be doing well.

    I have some "not" crabapple jelly from last year. We've been using it on pancakes and waffles as syrup. It tastes very good and is probably still better for you than the big box store syrups. I guess you would say I got the crabapples by foraging. I went to the local Co-operative Extension Office (which a few years ago just happened to move into our old community center two blocks away!) and asked if it would be alright if I came over and harvested crabapples from their trees in order to make jelly. They were shocked, and said that no one has ever asked that before, and Yes, I could. I made several 1/2 pint jars of it, but most of it didn't gel. Some, I tried to recook with more pectin, and it got thicker, but not gelled. So, it was syrup, not jelly. After reading up on it, I decided that I picked the crabapples later than is desired, so their pectin level was down. I should have picked them just before they were ripe, when the pectin content is supposed to be highest. (Stored information for future use.)

    You have a wonderful outlook on self sufficiency. Keep up the good work!
    Veggie PAK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I have some apple syrup as well, lol. The batch before this one got thick but still pourable so it is apple syrup. It is really good on waffles and would have been good on these but we just used the regular syrup today.

    ReplyDelete