Saturday, August 11, 2012

Thrift Store Finds on a Rainy Saturday

It has rained (poured) off and on all day long which is pretty unusual for here. Considering how dry it is out west I guess I should appreciate it but even the ducks seem to now be kind of sick of it. I saw some earlier crouching under a bush.
Phil had to work today but Michelle and I waited for the first thunderstorm to pass and made our way out to go shopping. We stopped at the thrift store first (it poured the whole time we were there). I haven't been in a couple week and I only spent just over $19 but one thing was a video game that Michelle found so I only spent just a little over $15. Here is what I got.
This is the cutest little lamp and lights up a dark corner of the living room and really goes with the rest of it. It was just $4.49.
Here is a nice throw that I plan to put on one of the couches when it comes out of the wash-$3.99. A magazine on casseroles though I think I can pretty much make up any casserole I want to. You just never know when a $.25 magazine might give you an idea. The dog magazine I got because it said there were recipes for your dog which I took to mean treat recipes but the recipes all dealt with cooking vegetables for your dog (how Natural in a dogs diet are vegetables?). The jar is a half gallon Knox Mason jar. I have never even had a half gallon canning jar because they don't sell them here anymore, but I do remember my mother using them, so it was a steal at $ .99. The red thing is a Handy Corker for corking wine bottles. I couldn't even believe it when I saw it! I have it on my Amazon and eBay wish lists but hadn't gotten one yet. It was a dollar.
The last thing I got was a brand new king size fleece blanket-$3.99. I don't really need anymore blankets, I have a whole closet full but I got this because I was thinking about lining the curtains with it to keep in more heat this winter. We live in a double-wide with big drafty windows plus we have no central heat.It died years ago. We have no heat at all and have to use space heaters in the winter. I am sure lining the curtains with fleece would make a difference and we would still be able to pull them to see out or let light in. I am sure it would also help keep the cool air in during the summer as well.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I nearly didn't get it because I couldn't think where to put it. I am glad I found a spot where it is really useful.

      Delete
  2. You really know how to find a bargain, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we have a couple of thrift stores in town but one is only open during the week (useless!) but the Salvation Army one is open on the weekend. Then we have the little flea market. We go to the thrift store a lot but only to the flea market once in a while. If we have a good bit of extra, we might go the the flea market in Augusta which is HUGE but we haven't done that for a couple of years now.

      Delete
  3. Love the idea of lining your curtains with the fleece blanket. It will make your home really cozy for winter. I love going to thrift shops, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, i just bought a dozen half gal. canning jars (wide mouth) from lehmans...$18 for six. a lot of people have quit using them but if you have a 22qt canner they come in real handy for when canning things like chili, stews, and soups... and the 1/2 gal regular mouth jars are great for juices and broths. we also use them to store ice water in the frig. of course, when using those jars, you really have to cook mass quantities which i do and nothing goes to waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, don't think I will be buying 6 jars for $18 any time soon. I don't cook in mass quantities either but I wouldn't mind finding a few more of these, just in case.

      Delete
    2. I have bought the 1/2 gal. jars from Lehmans also. I use them for fruit favored waters, ice tea. Even use them to hold crackers, peanuts, tortilla chips. They are awesome and I also got the white plastic lids to go on them besides the regular canning lids that come with the jars. They shipped them packed so well.

      Delete
  5. I've never even seen a half gallon canning jar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen one since I was little. I believe they were mostly used for things like pickles, pickled beets and watermelon rind pickles. Things you wouldn't have to eat all at once.

      Delete
  6. the amish and the mennonite still use them for everything, mostly because of having large families. i use them for preserving meals...i like to can chili, stews and soups but hate having to open up three or four quarts of something when i can just open a half gallon jar for feeding a family. they are also very convenient for storing sugar,rice, flour,coffee beans etc. yes, they are expensive but i save space using them instead of quarts all of the time. you can get the regular half gallon jars or the wide mouth jars through lehmans.. and you would have to buy two quart jars for each half gallon jar which makes the price of the half gallon jar not so unreasonable. most half gallon jars you find at the antique stores are much more expensive than the newer ball jars i bought from lehmans. also, when using the half gallon jars in a pressure canner, the time required for canning quarts and half gallons is the same. so, if you have a large family to cook for, the half gallon jars are not only economical to buy and use, but also take up less shelf space, and are just as easy to use as two quart jars. just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Becky! Your thrift store finds are great! I too, like the idea of lining your curtains with the fleece. When we lived in our old house, the whole side of our house received nothing but sun all day. I couldn't sew much, so I just hung up towels over the curtains and blinds, and that really helped! The heat didn't come in near as much then! It worked well in winter, keeping the draft out. Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Becky, thanks for the tip on the curtains, I may try my hand at sewing. I like the lamp.

    ReplyDelete