Saturday, August 25, 2012

Spanish Style Beef and Rice Meal

Inspiration for tonight's dinner meal came from a cookbook that I found at the thrift store today called: All Time Family Favorites Casseroles and One-Dish Meals. This one was actually supposed to be baked but we don't really bake here in the summer if we can help it so I have put this together in the crock pot, of course, with a few changes.

1 lb to a 1 1/2 lb beef strips
Peppers- I used one orange bell that I had and two Jimmy Nardello sweet green peppers
Approx. half an onion diced
1 clove of garlic, crushed and diced
1 tsp chili powder
1 cup instant rice
1 of the little cans of tomato sauce (sorry I don't have the weight, but not the regular can, the little one)
Approx 3/4 cup frozen peas
salt and pepper

Put everything except rice in the crock pot and cook for 4-5 hours. Approximately a half hour before you want to eat, add the rice. Cook until rice is done.
It was pretty good though I am not sure it was good enough to cook it again. The baked version would have likely been better. The book is good though and I hope to try out several more recipes. I need crock pot and easy recipes to do for supper now that our hours at work have changed back and I get off at 7:00 p.m. again.

In other news, the pig butchering was supposed to be tomorrow but none one could make it. We have rescheduled for next weekend and we will be doing the pig whether anyone comes or not. He HAS to be done! Right now feeding him is just wasting money.




7 comments:

  1. Welcome back Becky. I hope you and your son had a wonderful visit and that your future daughter-in-law learned to can! Missed your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually never went anywhere. My son came here. I just haven't been on because nothing is really going on here. I take Michelle to school in the morning and every other day have to pick her up an hour later, then I go to work at noon. No time for anything else :(

      Delete
  2. If you're like us in this respect you probably have loads of cook-books and recipes saved from magazines, most of which are used for inspiration rather than for exact recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right I have way too many cookbooks and a whole binder full of recipes. Some I use and some I don't. They really are mostly for inspiration.

      Delete
  3. Looks good. Gotta love a one dish meal! I run the crockpot mostly in the winter but i certainly understand not using the oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like a one pot meal. Just makes everything so much easier on me.

      Delete
  4. Hi Becky! I love crockpot meals! There's a lot of recipes on the net, but I'm sure you don't have much time to browse. This recipe looks delicious! My guys just don't care for beef other than ground or an occasional steak! Makes for limited beef cooking! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete