Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Eggplant Salsa

Because sometimes your neighbor gives you several eggplant that you are so thankful to get but have no idea what to do with..
Phil won't touch it because one year I grew eggplant and it did produce and I made eggplant fries which we dipped in spaghetti sauce and Phil ate an absolute ton of the stuff and could not figure out why he had "problems" the next day....humm...it must be the eggplant!
So whatever I made had to be something I could can and would last until I could eat it. I went searching for recipes and found eggplant salsa. Everybody loves salsa.
I, of course, changed the recipe to suit what I had on hand. This is a two day process.
On the first day I diced up the 5 eggplant (some were quite small) as you can see in the picture so if you have all large eggplant adjust accordingly.
I used two of those small bell peppers, and one large onion that I had, all diced. I put them in a bowl last night with a 1/4 cup of pickling salt and let them set in the refrigerator all night and most of the day until I got home from work.
I then rinsed them really well and put them in a good sized pot. I added:

1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp. chopped garlic
1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. pepper
1-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1-28 oz. can diced tomatoes
5 jalapeno peppers (I had 3 red ones and 2 green)

I brought the pot to a boil and then turned it down to simmer for 25 minutes. I then water bath canned it for 15 minutes. I got 6 pints exactly.


11 comments:

  1. Say that looks good. I might have to gather the supplies for that. I usually don't like store bought salsa but sometimes I get tired of having to make it every time I want salsa. The Pioneer woman really spoiled me with her recipe and I haven't bought any since. I was going to suggest that you try making some Baba Ganoush( fancy name for eggplant dip) which is extremely good but the recipe calls for Tahini and that can be hard to find. We love that stuff too. I have three eggplant in the frig now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't tried it yet Paula but I hope it is good. I did take a little taste before it was canned because I tend to not get them spicy enough with the hot peppers but this one was definitely spicy.

      Delete
  2. Huh, never would have thought of that... Sounds good! I love seeing the new jars on the counter. Tangible proof of effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi becky wy not try and do Melanzany
    Its
    Layers of sliced egg plant,with a thick tomato sauce and buffalo
    mozzarela.
    First make a tomato sauce,then gridle the slices of egg plant
    And then
    One layer of each,
    tomato,egg plant,mozzarella. [{add basil to the tomato sauce}]
    hope you like it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am out of eggplant now and i don't know where I ever would find buffalo mozzarella. It does sound good though.

      Delete
  4. Hi Becky! That salsa sounds delicious! It looks great too! I just made some eggplant Parmesan with one of the two I gathered from my garden. My son ate it and liked it! I sure was glad! Now I wished I had cooked them both! Kids, you never know! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a shame Phil has a problem with them because they grow so well here. I'm thinking if I can get him to eat some of the salsa and he doesn't have a problem maybe we will have a need to grow a few anyway.

      Delete
  5. I am the only one in our household that will eat eggplant. I am going to hold on to this recipe and think seriously about growing some again - as this would give me an option to spread the harvest out a bit for usage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that looks yummy! Since my eggplant plants died on me earlier without producing any, I'll have to go get some from a local farm. I'll be making this. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks absolutely good, I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that looks great! It's similar to Eggplant Caponata...but different :)

    ReplyDelete