Sunday, April 6, 2014

Thrift Store Finds

I truly believe the best way to help be self sufficient--cheaply--is to go to the thrift store every week. You do have to go with your mind set right though. If you can't find a use for it, don't buy it. That being said, I have bought several things I thought I could use and then never did. That is okay, too. I held onto my plastic meat  grinder for months before I ever needed it to slice up the bacon from the hogs. If you don't use it after a long time..send it back.
Anyway. these are my thrift store finds this week:

Another meat slicer. A nice metal one! It does have a bit of rust there on the tray but it seems to just be a little surface rust and I think I can get if off with some tin foil and salt (do you all know about tin foil, and salt for rust? Well, you do now, just wet it slightly and rub with the foil and salt). It works just fine though it is old.

This was taped in the box with the meat slicer. I hate when they tape over things. I guess they don't know what parts go with what but I really couldn't see what I was getting that way. I knew I wanted to see if the slicer worked but didn't know if it had all the parts or if this vegetable slicer had all its parts either. Luckily it did although it does need a new pin to hold the flap on the top. I believe so coat hanger wire will do the trick but haven't tried to fix it yet. So much better than a noisy food processor. The box with both of these in it was $5.99.

Then came this coffee grinder. I am always interested in these, not only because they can grind coffee but if they have a fine enough setting on it, it can also grind other things like wheat or corn meal. The grinder works but I haven't tried it on anything real yet. It was $4.99.


And last there was this watering can. I just plain like planting flowers in watering cans or old coffee cans. So I got this to plant flowers in though I haven't done it yet. I keep thinking it may be handing just for watering things in the greenhouse though :)


Anyway, these were the good thrift store finds for the week. I'll have some gardening posts coming up.

9 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good deal on those things, I have never found anything like that in our thrift store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure about the other things, but I think the watering-can looks nice. I can see it with Strawberry plants cascading over the side to match the design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a really good idea. I might just do that Mark :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Becky! You got a really good deal on the meat slicer! Hopefully it works and all the parts are there. Thanks for the tip about rust! The watering can is so pretty! I would use it to water, too. Yes, thrift stores can be an amazing place to shop! Hope you are feeling better. This sinus is finally easing up for me. Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to work just fine. I am trying to figure out how to get the blade off to clean it though. I think Phil is going to figure that one out for me. I found some good allergy medicine that doesn't make me drowsy so I am feeling better--still have trouble sleeping though :(

      Delete
  4. Great finds, you did really well - I have a meat slicer, I also slice our homemade bread on it. The wartering can is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have another meat slicer that is mostly plastic. I never have thought of slicing bread on it. What a good idea!

      Delete
  5. Becky,

    Wonderful finds and at great prices. All items will clean up well and make for good use later on.
    I'm still looking for a metal meat slicer myself.

    Enjoy using your new finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Becky, you are turning into a regular thrift store junky. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete