Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Club Gardens in April

I just wanted to give you a little update on the Club gardens now that things are really starting to sprout.  Here are the annuals. I can't wait until they really fill in!

I love the violas.

The strawberries are blooming. I hope to get a chance to get some mulch around them but don't know if I can get some or not.

Look at these onions!


All of the beans have sprouted! They are kind of hard to see in this picture but they have all sprouted, all three colors.


The squash have sprouted too (we have 4 hills in each bed). And so have the cucumbers though I didn't get a picture of them.

This last picture is of a blueberry bush. Two of them are blooming nicely like this. The other two seem to be slower. The ones that are blooming are the pink lemonade which is kind of funny since I have two blueberry plants at home that are a "blue" variety and those are blooming good but my pink lemonade ones aren't. 


That was all the pictures I had a chance to take today. It is spring break so we have the kids from 8:30 to 5:00 so not a lot of time for picture taking.

12 comments:

  1. The "pink" blueberries look great! Mine aren't looking so great...I think I need to add more acid to the soil. I keep thinking I may not be in blueberry country...but there's a gal about 10 miles from here that has a lovely blueberry farm...so I keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mixed peat moss into the soil and we will use an Miracle Grow fertilizer for acid plants.

      Delete
  2. Your beds look so promising! so beautiful beds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These aren't mine. These are the ones where I work at the Boys and Girls Club.

      Delete
  3. Those are some wonderful blueberry flowers. I hope you get some great berries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky! Thanks for sharing the photos! Everything seems to be growing nicely there. I believe you will have a nice harvest of blueberries this year! I can hardly wait to see how everything turns out! Have a nice day! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This garden gets a lot of full sun so it does a lot better than mine at home.

      Delete
  5. All that lots looks pretty good! What do the kids think of it? Are they genuinely interested in the venture, and prepared to help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ask me every Monday as they come through the line if we are going out to the garden...but sometimes I think there interest is in getting out of doing homework instead of really wanting to garden. I do have a few who seem genuinely interested however.

      Delete
  6. Hey Becky, good going, looks like things are coming alive, hope the kids are enjoying the work in the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice deep beds. Potatoes might be good. Looks great, and hope the kids get the gardening bug!

    ReplyDelete