Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Growing Garlic from Bulbils

There was a time when I had no idea what you would use fresh garlic for. I used garlic powder and that was it. Luckily things are different now.
So winter is coming and I still am in my gardening mode and the fall garden of cabbage and broccoli just grow too slowly for my gardeners spirit. While looking through the seeds on eBay (I bought my tomato and peppers seeds for next year), I came across some garlic bulbils, 100 to be exact, for $3. I do like to try new things and I understand that I likely won't get usable garlic from these the first year but I went ahead and got it.
The bulbils came in yesterday. They are tiny!I decided to plant them now in the greenhouse and see if I could keep them growing through the winter.
I soaked them first in plain water for just a couple hours;

Here is the potting soil I will use. It was marked down at a local Dollar store;


Here are the pots:


Pots must have drainage. Poke holes in the bottom of the pots.
Fill with soil and then try not to get too frustrated putting those tiny wet bulbils in the soil. Needless to say mine may come up anywhere in these pots and not look exactly neat and tidy.

Water and wait, that is all there is to do now. I'll have other posts on these as we go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment