Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Growing Culinary Ginger (Zingiber officinale)

There are many different types of roots which can be purchased in the grocery store and then replanted. Horseradish is one of these and so is ginger. Ginger is incredibly easy to plant and grow but and only takes a season for the rhizomes to get big enough to harvest . Ginger plants usually grow just a few stems that can reach a height of 2-4 feet. To me they look like a small palm leaf or a bamboo stalk.
Today I planted two small ginger rhizomes that I purchased in the grocery store for $ .67.  Ginger rhizomes have "eyes" just like a potato plant does.
Here is where I planted my ginger roots today. It is my little herb tub that also holds my green onions.

I just dug out a very small depression in the soil as ginger roots only need to be covered with about an inch of soil.

The root is placed in the hole flat and covered then the dirt patted down over it.

As the ginger grows I will be sure to take more pictures of it so that you can all see how it is doing. Ginger is not frost hardy and I will be dragging this tub into the greenhouse to overwinter. People who live in colder climates may want to plant their ginger in the spring and harest in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment