Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Leftover Venison Casserole

The other day I took out a piece of the back-strap from that deer my brother brought over and cut it into medallions. I put  it in the crock pot with a jar of mushrooms (liquid and all), some onion, two packets of brown gravy mix and a couple pints of water and let it cook on low all day. When Phil came home he made some mashed potatoes and ate the venison and gravy over the potatoes.
Today, by some miracle, there was some left. I ate some over eggs for breakfast but there was still some left so I used it again for tonight's supper.
I made another casserole. I put the gravy and medallions leftovers in a bowl, added some frozen peas,
I then added some cooked rigatoni pasta (just happens to be the first pasta I saw in the cupboard but pasta is just pasta, any one will do),
added an 8 oz bag of finely shredded cheese (this one happened to be the pizza blend of cheeses),
and put it in a 9 x 13 inch pan, then put another bag of cheese on top.
This is a picture of it before I added the cheese, otherwise you would have just seen cheese. Michelle (or Phil) will put this in the oven for about 20 minutes when Phil and her are ready to eat this evening while I am at work. .

4 comments:

  1. Looks nice, but what a difference in pasta names you have there!! Over here, and in Italy, Rigatoni would be large tubes, similar to Penne but with lines on (the word actually means "ridged"). This pasta shown here would be Fusilli (meaning "spun"). Weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humm, I have no idea but that is really interesting.

      Delete
  2. Hi Becky! Both versions look delicious! That was a very creative way to use your leftover venison! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good. Nothing like coming home to a meal that just needs to be popped in the oven!

    ReplyDelete