Monday, January 21, 2013

Kale and Mushroom Soup

So I was told yesterday morning that I needed to get going and make mushroom soup, so I did. I looked up some recipes, thought about what I had on hand and made my own like always. I had two packages of the large button mushrooms that I bought marked down yesterday plus a few dried oyster mushrooms.

I then thought about that nice pot of kale that is growing on the porch.

I really need to use those for something so I went out and picked some fresh kale leaves. The mushrooms and kale went into the crock pot with a quart of homemade stock, a nice sweet green onion, about a half tsp of thyme and minced garlic, some salt and pepper and some milk (I really don't know how much just enough to bring the liquid to the top of the mushrooms and kale.)
It cooked in the crock pot for several hours. I then took most of it out and put it in the food processor. I kept out some of the mushrooms so they could be in the soup in whole pieces. I then put it all back in the pot for just a little longer.
It was pretty good and made a very nice lunch for Michelle and I.

Here are my little heads of broccoli. I picked them yesterday. They look pretty big in this picture but they really aren't-- still dipped in some ranch dressing, they should make a nice snack.
Here are the English muffins and the bread I made today.
The English muffins are for breakfasts, the bread will go with supper tonight of deer meat loaf and homemade mac n' cheese.

12 comments:

  1. Soup sounds very tasty & both breads look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I have always loved them and was pleased to find that the homemade ones turn out the same as the store bought ones only not any big holes in them.

      Delete
  3. Everythings looks amazing and delicious.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a fine looking soup. I love venison loaf...save me a slice and a nice chunk of bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually do have some left which is unusual for us, lol.

      Delete
  5. Bravo! My God, how your cooking skills have improved these last couple of years! You are a real gourmet these days. The English Muffins need some good butter and Strawberry jam now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't have any strawberry jam but I do have that apple jelly I made ;)

      Delete
  6. Wow, your food looks great. I'm impressed with your bread making. The English muffins look better than the shops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great. Love the shot of the Kale in the sunlight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. see on yummy things really i would like to eat these things Mobile

    ReplyDelete