Saturday, January 19, 2013

Apple Wine Tasting

Today was the tasting of the apple wine. I added some white grape juice to sweeten it with. It needed to be diluted some anyway. I really didn't think this one fermented as long as I thought it should but apparently I was wrong because when I first tasted it- before I added the grape juice- my throat was very warm afterwards. I guess I should use my hydrometer when I make wine but I just never seem to have the time to keep checking the must. I am lucky if I remember to rack it to jugs when it needs to be.  Anyway, it is the loveliest clear color.
As for taste...well...I think it probably tastes like it should but I tend to like red and berry wines so much better. It's not so bad after the first glass though :)
Right now I have fermenting: pink lemonade wine, mixed berry wine, and raspberry apple wine, all made from frozen juice. I am waiting for the cranberries from Christmas to get marked down (amazing how long cranberries last in the stores!) so that I can get some and make some more cranberry wine.

10 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! My apple is still very dark and cloudy. It has a ways to go yet. I hope it turns out as lovely as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one cleared fairly quickly, I guess because it was made with the juice to begin with.

      Delete
  2. Hi Becky! I am a white wine person so I would love that beautiful wine! I bet it tastes delicious! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky I wonder how it tastes compared to cider our traditional alcohol apple drink

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you do not have blackberry... we should trade! Ha ha Your wine looks lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No blackberry juice in the stores, no blackberry bushes like to grow around here or if they do they are few and far between and buying those little things of blackberries in the stores is just out of the question. Otherwise I would LOVE to try blackberry wine!

      Delete
  5. My uncle once made Parsnip wine. Now there's a challenge! (Don't bother, it was terrible). I love the pretty glass you have served your wine in. A set of those would be perfect for the Christmas dinner table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read you can make wine out of any fruit or vegetable but that tomato wine is terrible. Don't think I will try parsnip wine either. That pretty glass is from a fast food restaurant called Arby's. They give out these glasses around Christmas if you buy a meal. I got several many many many many years ago when I worked there.

      Delete
  6. My mum in New Zealand makes fejoa (pineapple guava)wine. I am not a huge fan of fejoas but the wine is good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apple wine in Germany (Apfel wein)is often diluted with a little cold water to make it less potent. It goes great with bratwurst and pan fried potatoes!

    ReplyDelete