Sunday, January 13, 2013

Garden Shots

Here are some pictures of the garden right now. They are a bit pitiful and weedy as I haven't really had time to mess with the garden lately.
Here are the broccoli plants with their tiny little heads.
Here are a couple of pictures of the cauliflower which is growing great but have no heads yet. I don't think I have ever had them grow so big before.


The cabbage doesn't look nearly as good but it is coming along nicely, I think.

This last picture of the garden is of the bed that had the kale, turnips and garlic. On my first planting,, they sprouted good but only grew on one side of the bed so I have replanted and they have sprouted so that is what you see in this picture. The little bit of garlic I put in is in the back.
I did not take a picture of the bed that had the savoy cabbage in it as it looks like it is going to be a total failure. They just aren't growing.
That's it for the garden. I was going to take some pictures of the tomatoes on the windowsill but the camera batteries died on me before I could.


11 comments:

  1. Wow - your brassicas look SO healthy! Good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, Becky. I miss my old garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how nice to see some green while my garden is under a few feet of snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your greens look great ! I guess those broc heads will not get much bigger, but after you have cut them you should get lots of "spurs" from the side later, especially as they are such healthy plants - they put my pathetic brussel plants to shame ! Snow here too and more to come I believe. Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will likely get lots of side shoots but it just isn't the same.

      Delete
  5. How nice to see things growing! It's winter here and we have only a few very hardy weeds that are still growing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be nice to actually grow something in the winter. I do have things alive in the garden, but they don't really grow now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just had several days in the 70's. We actually ran the air a couple of nights.

      Delete
  7. Wow, how great! The brassicas are growing so well! Won't be long now before you're harvesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever tried the Sprouting Broccoli types? With them you don't need to worry about getting a big central head. The side-shoots are the main event. And if it makes you feel any better, cauliflower is popularly reckoned to be one of the most difficult veg to grow domestically, so I think you are doing better than most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried the sprouting broccoli type but seems like I get the same result either way, lol.

      Delete