Thursday, November 10, 2011

Eating Healthier

So lately I have gotten a bit more serious about eating healthier. I had done a few things like stopped drinking sodas (I do allow myself one now and then), eating whole grains whenever possible, and watching ingredients and trying to eat more naturally but here in our house we eat way too much meat (like every other American), then we have some kind of rice or pasta side dish and the vegetable is usually an "afterthought". Phil calls it my diet but it isn't really a diet, we are just going to eat more fruits and vegetables or at least I am; (and Michelle never has liked meat much so she is happy to eat vegetables), Phil can eat what he wants. Anyway the point of this post really wasn't to go on and on about what I am eating now or what I'm not. I started a journal for myself on the forum (on the Healthy Living board) for anyone interested but it is mostly for myself to keep track.The reason I really started this post was because my breakfast looked so good this morning. I have had 3 days of oatmeal and fruit so decided to switch and have some eggs today. But NOT like I used to have eggs; fried in bacon grease with some leftover meat or gravy on top with butter toast to the side; these were poached, with green onions and a grating of cheese on top. This cheese is a wonderful all natural Dutch smoked cheese called Goudan that I found at one of the local grocery stores. The two eggs were put over toasted bread but no butter.
It was excellent!

11 comments:

  1. That sure beats the Fiber One that I ate this morning.
    Good luck on your healthy crusade! And bravo to you for not drinking so much soda.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I lost almost 50 pounds by counting calories (took almost a year), and meat was such a killer, especially beef. I found that we were eating at least 2x and sometimes 3x a standard portion size! That helped me learn to buy less so I could eat less, and I've managed to keep (most) of the weight off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing your own certainly helps you to eat more veg. I have no problem consuming the recommended five portions of fruit and veg per day. I suppose though that if I had chickens and ducks and such-like, as you do, I would probably eat more meat and eggs...
    You really should get Phil to shoot that deer for you - venison is a lot healthier than beef!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I wish he would get a deer. He just doesn't have a very good place to hunt. I have lost 75 lbs a few years ago and gained it ALL back but the losing involved several different diets and while it worked it did not give me a different way of eating that I could stick with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soda Has been the hardest for me to give up. But I think $5 12 packs has finally done it I at least don't drink it at home anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw heck, we only go around once. Do I want enjoy life or look good in the box? Seriously though... moderation. And that's a lovley breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a heart condition that stays pretty much in check as long as I get a decent amount of exercise and do not get too overweight. My brother has the same condition, he does not take care of himself and has a whole slew of pills to take everyday, so I'll just keep walking the track behind the church each morning and eating better and maybe I can keep holding off the pill taking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. woodsman, the thing that has helped with the soda the most is that they discontinued my soda of choice-Vault, otherwise I might not have done so well. I do think it is ridiculous that a single soda now costs $1.59 here but our 12 packs are not quite $5 though some of them are $4.38 right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great breakfast! We hardly ever eat fried foods and neither one of us drink soda...thank goodness. I imagine cutting way back on soda was difficult.

    I really think that people who garden and preserve food eat alot healthier then most.

    Keep up the good work and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you've got my banana smoothie beat too, Becky! now that I'm eating more fruits/veggies, I'm REALLY enjoying them. who'd have thought!? ;)

    ReplyDelete