Monday, June 20, 2011

Snake

Sometimes you just can't get a break. Went out after work to feed the chickens and this monster is in the cage with a pair of the mille fleur Japanese project birds. He had eaten the hens eggs and couldn't get out of the cage again, which was lucky for me because I got to wait until Phil got home so I could get some help taking care of this one. I did open the cage door and attempt to let the chickens out but he curled up to strike at me. We just plain kill them. Sorry if that bothers anyone. I know they are not poisonous. Maybe it doesn't bother other people to have 6 ft black snakes in their yard but it bothers me and snakes don't seem to forget; they'll come back for more eggs. And yes, it was 6 ft long; when Phil held it up it was as long as he is tall.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my!! I just posted about things I love....these things surely aren't on my list...or anybody's list! I bet it gave you a fright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have become less scared of them over the years we have lived here by the lake. It is the fact that I HAVE to kill them or risk them eating all the eggs and killing the chickens (We have had a 6 ft one eat one of the bantams before) or someone getting bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I generally don't mind snakes and would rather not kill them. I'm with you on this one. Take it out so it doesn't keep coming back.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your answer to the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be EXTREMELY bothered! We have very few snakes in the UK, so this would freak me out. Some people want to reintroduce wolves and bears to the Scottish Highlands. I just like being able to go for a walk without getting eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These black snakes are so common here. Last year I killed four. I have also seen several water moccasins and a copperhead this year. I missed killing the copperhead (Ok, I was scared of that one but I did hit it with the shovel)and I regret it now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my life! That is unbelievable.

    I would have freaked if I saw that.

    Cheeky thing eating the eggs! How annoying!

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is your chicken perched on top of it?!?! I am not sure I could get close enough to a snake in order to kill it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup, couldn't get the bantams out of the cage. I tried but it struck at me. It was striking at the chickens from time to time too but seems to have done not damage to them as they are fine today.
    The first time I ever saw one was about 18 years ago shortly after we moved here. It was crawling across my yard and it was a lot bigger than this one. Just amazing how big these things grow.

    ReplyDelete