Thursday, March 9, 2017

Dehydrated Cranberries

The cranberries were finally marked down at the store (although not as cheap as they usually are) and I bought three bags thinking I would make cranberry sauce again but then never had time for it. When you buy produced marked down here it is usually perfectly good if used soon...so I needed to use these. I decided to dehydrate them thinking they would end up like dried cranberries I had seen in the stores...kind of like raisins. That isn't what happened when I dehydrated them however.

They did not shrivel up, most of them kept their shape but feel hollow inside and they are brittle and break up when crushed. It is very odd and not at all what I expected. 


So I have some experimenting to do with these cranberries to see what I can make with them. I am thinking of rehydrating them in water and using them in bread or muffins. I also suppose there could be the option of making cranberry powder of some kind and using that in recipes but I am thinking I likely won't use it so I will try the first option and let you all know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I would have expected them to shrivel up, just as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have the same dehydrator as you. I haven't used it all that much, mostly for herbs and making jerky. I find the fruit so tasteless in the winter :( But summer is nearly here and I plan to go strawberry and blueberry picking. I want to dehydrate some of those berries for next winter's cooking.

    ReplyDelete