Sunday, March 30, 2014

Update on the Kid's Garden

Just a little update on the kid's garden at the Club. We have had some successes and some failures.
We have had some nice blooms:


Our Caladiums and our Elephant Ear are not up yet though.

In our strawberry beds, only a few of the bare root strawberries sprouted so we had to get plants and try again.

We planted our herb bed but unfortunately we had a frost several days later which killed the cilantro and basil. I believe we will restart those from seeds.

We were given 4 blueberry plants and have planted them in between the strawberry beds. There are 3 pink lemonade blueberries and then one variety of actually blue ones (sorry, I can't remember the name right now).

I thought I had taken a picture of the onion beds but apparently not. We planted red, yellow and white onions in one 3 part bed.
Then Thursday I really got them out there working. It was supposed to rain Friday and I was determined that we were going to get the seeds planted. We planted 3 different color squash, three different color beans, three different color carrots and two different cucumbers (that bed has the herbs in between the cucumbers). All we need to plant now are the tomatoes and peppers. I have two six packs of different color peppers already and one of the red tomatoes. Still looking for the other colors in those.
We are really warming up here so these pictures should just be getting better and better.

8 comments:

  1. I bet the kids are enjoying the garden...my grand kids spend all of their time in the garden and out with the chickens. I'm just now planting seeds...I put in the transplants a few weeks ago, but the ground just wasn't warm enough for seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We normally could plant earlier than this but it hasn't been warm enough here either. We get some warm days and then we are right back to cold again.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are really going all-out for colour, with so many different varieties. What is the soil like? It looks sandy.
    You will have to give the kids lessons on "protection" next, if frost is killing some of the plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soil is a bit sandy but it was put in by our board member who owns the feed and seed store so I guess he knows what he is doing. It seems to grow things well and we took him soil samples this year and he gave us lime to bring the ph up some. I think it will do fine. We did add peat moss into the blueberry beds. I think that was pretty much our last frost. I only get the kids for an hour or so once or twice a week so we can only do so much. If I get them out there to weed and water and have a little lesson we have done good.

      Delete
  3. I think it is wonderful what you are doing with the kids, Becky. I wanted to start that at my church and expand to a community garden, but I could not get any help or support from those more able to garden than myself (due to bad knees ), so I have been disappointed. Hopefully in the future, someone will get interested. Your project is so good for the kids. Can't wait to see the garden grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we have had these garden beds for 3 or 4 years now and never could get any of the staff to actually put any effort into teaching the children how to grow anything and take care of them. I'm the membership clerk. I don't even work with the children but I felt it was important to not let the opportunity go to waste. I have plantar fasciitis in my feet. Can't even step on the heal of one of them. My back also hurt pretty good while hoeing out the beds but it was worth it :)

      Delete
    2. That's wonderful, Becky how you take time to spend with the children and teach them with your poor foot and back! So rewarding for you and them! Just do what you can! Blessings from Bama!

      Delete
  4. Awesome that you're teaching the kids. Who knows what "seeds" your planting? Hopefully in the kids!

    ReplyDelete