Sunday, March 2, 2014

The $59 Greenhouse

As I told everyone in the last post, I had bought a greenhouse. A very small greenhouse to put in the front yard in the one spot it could get sun most of the day. There aren't many spots like that left in my yard as the trees have grown so much here.
The greenhouse came in a few days ago but we were busy with work and then yesterday I went to my brother's house and had a yard sale with him and his wife. I got rid of some stuff Phil and I didn't need and I made just over $100 so it was a good day. (I also got quite sun burnt on my face but I'll live).
Today we opened the greenhouse box. There were lots of pipe pieces and plastic connectors but they all had numbers or letters on them and picture directions that were simple and easy to follow. I don't think it took us more than 15-20 minutes to put it all together, if that.
This is after the frame was all put together:

 Here you can see the plastic connectors and small metal pipe it is made of.

 Here are the metal shelves that sit on top of the pipe. I am not sure how much weight these will really take but I am sure it will be fine as long as I don't fill it with huge pots all the way across.

 Here it is with the plastic cover on. The plastic is nice and thick and I would hope will last several years.


I put the plants that I had inside in it for now. They had been in the bathroom and our bedroom and I was just hoping to get them through the winter. I am sure they will do better now. Of course, the whole point of this greenhouse is not to grow house plants. I do hope to get some vegetables and herbs in it later. I have a large round tub I want to plant potatoes in that can sit on the floor in the back there. 
I know the picture looks like it is in the shade but this is early in the morning. The sun hit it about an hour or so later and it sits directly in the sun most of the day. 


There are 4 tie downs on each corner and I plan to put rocks or something around it on the bottom to keep it held down even better and I think it will look nicer that way as well.
Not sure what I will actually plant in the garden this year, I am rather disgusted with how poorly things grow down there, even with my raised beds. I may just container garden this year. We'll see. :)

15 comments:

  1. Now that is way cool! It should work perfectly. Nice find and great set up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,

    Great find on your greenhouse!!!! This will come in handy for planting before and after planting season. I had problems with growing things here at our rental home because the soil was terrible. In fact, anything I had would die off. I had to bring in new soil, compost, and peat moss to get things to grow. Instead of planting directly in the ground to save money, I made garden boxes. For the past couple of years vegetables and fruit have been growing nicely in these boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your greenhouse and wonder where you found one so big for only $59. Seems like a good bargain to me. Now you can start your own seeds and save lots of money and get some hardy plants for your raised beds. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it off eBay. There are lot of them like these. Some bigger, some smaller. This is actually fairly small. Only about 5 ft.

      Delete
  4. Very cool :)

    If you put the heavier pots on the ground and the lighter trays on the shelves it will be perfect for it's purpose. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll have it stuffed in now time :)

      Delete
  5. Great find! I keep thinking I'm going to make a plastic covered hoop house...haven't done it yet...maybe I should just get a greenhouse like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how much a hoop house would cost you but I be this would be cheaper.

      Delete
  6. Hi Becky! Love the greenhouse! I like that your came with shelving! I'll have to add those too mine. I think you'll be able to grow quite a lot in there! When these colder night temps warm, I'll be putting plants in mine. I can hardly wait to see what else you grow in yours! Have a great week! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that was a big selling point for me that it came with those shelves. Lately easy work for me, lol.

      Delete
  7. That looks excellent - certainly fit for purpose! It's just like the ones I use, but bigger. As you have already identified, strength and stability can be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be ok here as we don't "usually" have snow or ice or wind. I think I may plant some packages of lettuce that I have just to get a start :)

      Delete
  8. Looks like a great investment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That's pretty awesome, and so reasonably priced. I may have to build a greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a fine greenhouse. They are great to have. Good price too.

    ReplyDelete