Saturday, March 8, 2014

Just Flowers

Everyone else is taking pictures of their flowers so I thought I would. I only have a few so far but I planted some more today and some seeds as well.
We'll start with the viola's or Johnny-jump-ups as we called them when I was growing up. I like to have these in my yard because they remind me of my mother. One year she bought a packet of the little purple and yellow Johnny-jump-ups and we spread the seeds on the bank of the ditch where our yard met the road. We had a wooden fence there so they went on the bank behind the fence between it and the road. They grew great there and we had Johnny-jump-ups all over the bank when they came up and it was very pretty. I was 6 or 8 years old and I remember thinking that because we just threw the seeds out there and didn't actually "plant" them that they would never grow but my mother explained that that was why the were called Johnny-jump-ups because they could pop up anywhere you threw the seeds.
I have 3 pots of these. There were 4 of them but one of the cats decided they were good to eat (I caught him at it) and he got one of the pots.


Here are some of the crocuses. I have them on either side of the pond although this side looks better as the dogs or chickens have trampled the other side a bit. These are the first crocuses I have grown in years and I am so pleased they bloomed for me.


Here are some of the daffodils. Daffodils almost grow wild here in GA. They are just everywhere and always do well. This batch however has never bloomed this nicely as there used to be a rambling rose bush that over grew them. The bush finally started looking bad and dying off and Phil cut it out completely last fall and the daffodils look much nicer this year. I planted these the first year we lived her some 9 or 10 years ago.



This last picture is another daffodil. These are one of the two Tete-a-Tete daffodils that I bought for the children to plant at the gardens at the Club. I didn't know it would bloom so quickly. We have a lot of other bulbs in the bed though so there will be more to take its place when it is finished.


The only other blooms I have are on the quince bush and the peach tree. There aren't too many on the peach tree though as I cut it back not too long ago.

14 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see my crocuses pop up. It has to warm up some more before that happens though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are warm, then cold, then warm, then cold. I am pretty sick of it myself.

      Delete
  2. Very nice, Becky. We finally got a bit of rain and the flowers are bursting out in bloom everywhere...it's like they know they'd better hurry up. I have daffodils, tulips and lilacs all at the same time...that's a first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some tulips too but they haven't bloomed. I would LOVE to have lilacs but they don't seem to grow here :(

      Delete
  3. I am so excited to see flowers even if it is a picture. There is hope after all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky, I am enjoying the flowers, they brighten my day. I still have a ton of snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We go from warm on the weekends to freezing during the week. I heard it is because our weather just keeps circling around over us. Very strange for us, usually we are pretty warm in March.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you explained about the origin of the name "Johnny Jump-up", becasue I had heard people use this name, but didn't understand it.
    I must say, I was surprised to learn that Daffodils are common in your part of the world - I would not have thought the climate would suit them, but evidently I was wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone down here has a clump of daffodils growing in their yard and they do great here. And I don't know if that is the exact origin of the Johnny-Jump-Up's name but it is what my mother believe anyway.

      Delete
  6. Hi Becky! Your flowers are so pretty! I love to take pictures of flowers and share them on my blog! It does seem that daffodils grow almost wild here in the South. In spite of our weather fluctuations, I'd still rather live here than anywhere else! How's the school garden coming along? I know it's not quite time to plant some things yet. Hope everything grow well for you this year! Have a nice day! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have planted bare root strawberries (that I got at Wal-mart and they don't look like they are going to even sprout, sigh), three different colors of onions, some flower bulbs-daffodils, elephant ear, caladiums, daylily, and two annuals I picked up on sale, I forget the name of those two but it has purple daisy-like flowers.

      Delete
  7. Envious that you can even see the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Becky loved the flowers...

    ReplyDelete