Monday, May 27, 2013

Ducks Being Sold

The babies I hatched last year.

The ducks are being sold...probably today.  Craigslist is a great place to sell animals especially if you are selling them fairly cheap. I have never had anything take more than a week to sell them. These I just posted yesterday and had 3 replies today.
It does break my heart to sell the ducks but I have put some thought into the decision. They definitely don't lay as well as the chickens. I really can't see myself eating them, though we have ate ducks we raised before, it is just not how I thought of these ducks. But the main reason is that there is a lot of repair work that Phil has to do to make the place livable to us and it isn't fair to ask him to build a chicken pen (they are going with us) AND a duck pen. Plus the ducks need more room and he probably could only build them a small pen at first which really isn't fair to them.
We have a lot to do with about a month to do it in, and  I don't want to get too overloaded too fast.
There are other things that can't be taken like the hazelnut bushes. They are absolutely huge and we would never get them out and moved. I may, however, take some small pieces to plant. The Chinese chestnut will stay mainly because it grows so incredibly slowly that I will probably be dead before it produces. The fig trees are too huge to move but I will get some cuttings. Fig trees are real cheap here anyway. The peach tree that I planted a few years ago did not get pruned like it should have last year and is huge this year. It will stay. Still thinking about the pomegranate tree.
Some things WILL go though. The roses will go, the blueberries will go and I think I can get him to bring some of the raised beds as well or I will get them myself. Lots of the flowers and flowering bushes will go.

I seriously, can't wait until Wednesday!. I believe I will be able to sleep again after that... :)

7 comments:

  1. Decisions, decisions! It must feel like being a Magistrate, with the power of Life and Death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't know if there are any life and death decisions, although as far as the plants go it may be as some of them really can't be moved this time of year and the ones that are moved will need some extra attention if they are going to make it.
      It mainly just seems like a whole lot of work...

      Delete
  2. Clearly you are heading to new digs. A stressful yet exciting time! Hope it all goes as smoothly as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I am hoping for. Nothing ever seems to go smoothly though, and I fear problems all the time.

      Delete
  3. Well, they're gone to a woman who is moving to a place with a pond. I hope they are happy with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the ducks will love the pond! A man my husband sees everyday, who has a pond, got our ducks. He said they LOVE it there! That makes me happy! Sounds like an exciting and stressful time for ya'll! Looking forward to Wednesday for you! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ducks are so cute. It must be a hard decision to let them go, but you've obviously put a lot of thought in to it and realise that it's for the best all round. I do wish everyone with animals were as sensible and weighed everything up properly, if only for the sake of the animals. Good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete