Sunday, May 10, 2020

More Pandemic Canning--Canning Pork

Today's adventure was in canning pork. I really had never canned pork before but I am trying to get one freezer cleaned out so my brother can have it and I am trying to have more meat stored, so two birds with one stone. I had bought one pork loin and when I checked the freezer I found 5 more packages of cut up pork loin. I thawed those over a couple days.



Then I cut as much of the fat off of them as I could.





The meat was then cut up into large chunks.



They were then packed in the sterilized quart jars. I added 1/2 tsp of hickory smoke salt to half the jars and a teaspoon of barbecue spice to the other half. Then filled with boiling water. You really have to be careful to get all the air out because the meat is packed in and traps air pockets.


Then in the pressure canner for 90 minutes.

They smell so good that they are making me hungry now!










2 comments:

  1. The photos have come put pink or is it the process? I'd like to do more preserving but unsure of what method to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's because I have grow lights over the plant filled bar in my kitchen and they make everything pinkish.

      Delete