Monday, October 22, 2012

More Goodies

We went over to my brother's house yesterday to help him with building onto his back porch and cleaning up his yard some. This is a new house to my brother but it has sat unused and misused for a very long time. My brother's health won't allow him to do very much for very long.
We had a good time and I came home with some goodies that he didn't want.
Here is a whole stack of nice large stepping stones. The heart one will go outside gate of the back yard fence. The others will likely make a path from the house to the back shed and greenhouse. There would be no way I could ever afford to buy all these.

I also got these wonderful cement pots. I believe the larger ones will go on either side of the back yard gate and right now I have the smaller ones on either side of the fountain table but I am not sure they are going to stay there unless I find something to put in them that the ducks won't eat (they have eaten everything out there lately--even things I thought were safe).
This is a piece to a fountain that was in his yard. I am not sure how I will fix this into a fountain again but we'll figure out something. The child is holding a duck--very fitting for a fountain in my back yard. Even just as a statue it is nice.
And there were also these:
We think they are grinding stones. At least that is what we are going to try to use them for.

Anyway, my brother ran out of wood for his back porch but it got built enough to let us pull out his new gas grill and test it out on some sausage dogs and hot dogs. I had made a broccoli salad to go along with it. Phil took apart a roof to an old shed that was sitting in the yard and he raked and cleaned up brush. Michelle and I picked up old trash.
It was a good day for all of us :)

18 comments:

  1. They do look like grinding stones. How will you use them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope to use them like grinding stones, lol. Phil has an idea on making a wooden center and I don't really know all the details and I am sure he doesn't either but I hope it works.

      Delete
  2. Wow Becky - great hand-me downs! I love the concrete urns... I had 2 of the ones on the left side of the picture but when we moved to Alberta, I had to leave them behind :( Too heavy to put on the moving truck. I still miss them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left a huge one years ago with a huge jade plant in it. I miss it as well.

      Delete
  3. Treasure! That statue reminds me of one my Granny had in her garden, which was actually a bird-table or a bird-bath (I don't rightly remember). I thought of you today when I was building the raised bed kit, because it was delivered on a wooden pallet, and I know that you and Phil are experts on making use of such things. I only have the one pallet though, so I haven't yet decided what to do with it. Re duck-proof plants: have you considered Phormium? There is a big range of plants in that family that are very strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The statue was supposed to go to a bird bath type fountain but it was broken when the house was left empty for so long. There were a lot of nice things broken in that yard.

      Delete
  4. Hi Becky! Wow! You scored some really nice pieces! I love the concrete planters! Those can get pricey at some places! I'm excited to what Phil does with the stones! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mill stones are awesome...do some research they may be worth some big bucks! I'd do some research on the other do-dads, too. I see similar things in the City selling for lots of money...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may be mill stones though they are kind of small for that. They might be able to be used that way however if I made a round cement table for that.

      Delete
  6. You really ended up with some very nice things. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great fins - I love that heart shaped paving stone - I would love to make some, but keep procrastinating...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've been going to make some in the shape of leaves but just haven't done that project yet.

      Delete
  8. you are a good sister. and you have a generous brother too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You came home with some great things. I particularly like the heart shaped stepping stone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your new finds...especially the statue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet Finds! Those urns and that statue are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fab finds! I'm looking for both stepping stones and pots at the moment, whilst trying to pay too much for them and its proving really difficult. Great you got those and I am intrigued by the grinding stones - looking forward to seeing how you use them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic find! You'll be able to do so much with them and it didn't cost you anything!

    ReplyDelete