Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Pond

I have always wanted a little pond and lately I kept looking at the kiddie pool we had for the ducks thinking it would make a good pond. I even dug the hole and tried it out but it just really didn't look right so I got online and went looking for pond liner. Pond liner is expensive! But there was a little kit on eBay with a pond liner, pump and frog "spitter" and it was only $26.99 with free shipping so I got that. It came in yesterday and I was quite pleased with how nice the frog decoration looked. This morning it was time to get to work on that long wanted pond. I had to dump the pool and dig the hole out more. I know I have mentioned our red clay way too many times but I did get lucky with my choice of the spot because I only ran into one root and since there are woods all around and roots all through the back yard that you can actually see on top of the ground, that was pretty lucky.
The liner was 5 ft x 5 ft which was just the right size.
I put the pool in the hole first though...
...then added that liner.
Then it was time for rocks and water. It seems so easy just collect rocks from your yard and put them around it but rocks are few and far between in our part of Georgia and since we killed the copperhead on the lawn the other day (I posted that on facebook), I was a bit more careful with my rock hunting.
 It does lean slightly to one side. I am hoping when it rains it will runoff a little spillway that I left at the lower side.
Now here is the frog "spitter". Isn't it cute?
Ok, here is the almost finished product. Well, I am done for today anyway. I plan on digging up several hostas that are getting over grown in the front yard and putting them around it and I also bought some irish bulbs to plant around it. I'll also put some water conditioner in it and take one of the filter media out of one of the fish tanks and put it in the pond so that it will instantly cycle. Then I can add some goldfish.
I also have some water plants in the aquariums that I can use. If it ever rains again I am going to get some grass seed I have spread out there in the back yard as it is bare from the ducks being out there and eating everything.
I also want to show you my new fountain that Phil brought home for me. It is broken on the top and someone he was doing a job for didn't want it anymore. I think it is lovely (Excuse how dirty it is. It sits under the trees and the oak trees especially are dropping leaves and tons of acorns this year. I hope to get out to clean it this weekend.


7 comments:

  1. Looks good and I learned what a frog spitter is. I had envisioned a small frog spitting contest type of thing but couldn't see one being put in someones mouth though I am sure it has been done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really had no idea what to call the thing but that is what they called it in the directions so I went with that, lol. I just got out there and moved some plants and put the water plants in the water, getting better all the time. I will post pictures when it actually looks good.

      Delete
  2. I think that fountain is beautiful.... my duck area looks the same, but do I take it that this new little pond is NOT for the ducks? Are the ducks gone?

    I am using a plastic swimming pool for mine, too. We tried to have a real pond dug three years ago, but the man hit limestore 4 feet down, and we had to cover everything up (badly, brought up every weed seed in the book).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I sold the ducks a while ago. We now only have a few chickens left.

      Delete
  3. Nice looking pond, will you be putting any fish in it? Koi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure that it is large enough for koi as it is a very small pool but maybe some pretty goldfish.

      Delete
  4. Hi Becky! Great job on the pond! Love the fountain! Looks great just the way it is! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete