Monday, February 22, 2016

Hello All


We're still here though we aren't doing a whole lot of self sufficient stuff that isn't on the blog already. This picture is of Michelle standing by our little section of the lake. We walked down there the other day and found that others have made a new path down to the lake so now I am trying to get walking down there ever day that I am not working. I didn't think we were going to get to today because it is overcast and thundering now and then but it has only sprinkled so we chanced it and got our walk in. I need all the exercise I can get as my job at the state park here requires me to do very little exercise.
Not much has changed here. We put in a new hot water heater over the weekend when the other one started leaking out the top. I hate it for my friend Diane who owns the house as we paid for the hot water heater so she will have to take it off the rent and she has a new car to pay for but that isn't my problem. We shouldn't have to pay rent and do without hot water too.
Phil and I have some money saved and are looking at properties but just have not found anything that fits our needs and price range yet so we will be working on getting his credit score up in the meantime.
I still have my chickens out there. I have a couple hens sitting on big nests of eggs. I didn't keep track of how long it had been but seems like one nest should have chicks soon if they are going to hatch at all. If they do I will probably have to take them and brood them inside as the cats get my chicks if I don't.
Phil has a new (used) truck. The transmission went in the old one. He actually traded future tile work for the truck so it didn't actually cost us any money but will mean some weekend work in the future.

Michelle also got her first car. It also is used but is running great and she takes it back and forth to  her work. She saved up for the $3000.00 car herself.

Still playing my violin without a teacher but I did buy a subscription to a site called Violin Lab. They have over 550 videos on violin playing and it definitely has been a help to me.

I am still crocheting and knitting as well. Sales have really slowed down since Christmas is over though so I am not crocheting and knitting quite as much. I try to make and sell my own designs as well but it is slow going.

I really haven't forgotten about this blog just nothing really worthy of writing about. I am thinking about gardening a little this year but only if I am able to get the garden in better shape. Will let you know if I ever do..

7 comments:

  1. Hi Becky, good to know you haven't forgotten about us. I really miss your blogs. Do you think about the days of living more simply? Bartering is a good way to get something you need. I pretty much buy vehicles around $500 and they last a long while. Maybe one day you will play in a Philharmonic. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are still living simply here John. It is just not as hard to live with just 3 people in the house as it was with 6. We used to buy vehicles around $500 when I lived in New England but down here there seems to be no such thing. I doubt I will play in any orchestra. I would eventually like to play well enough that my family will enjoy my playings at gatherings.

      Delete
  2. Hi Becky! It's nice to here what's going on again! That's a nice photo of the lake and Michele! She's a smart girl to save and pay cash for her own vehicle! Our car is a used one and has over 200,000 miles! It's a 98 suburban, and they go a long time! The hubs can do auto work so that helps too! I sold my youngest layers and the roo cause I was getting too many eggs! Where I live, seems like everyone has their own eggs, so I couldn't sell the extras. Now I'm trying to sell the ducks cause they lay almost everyday. What was I thinking? I love to bake and cook and still can't use all these eggs! I hope you find your property soon! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All our vehicles are used too but I did pay $6000 for mine. I have had it a couple years now and it is a very good car for me. I too am getting too many eggs but I give some to my brother's family and they in turn share with his wife's family. I also give some to my friend Diane when I have enough. We use them anyway. Phil does all our car and repair work. What he doesn't know he looks up on the Internet and learns. He just put brakes on Michelle's car and put in that hot water heater. I don't know how people who have to hire people to do this stuff for them make it.

      Delete
  3. I'd been wondering about you. Sometimes a long absence means health problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, though my health isn't as good as it was. I am trying to get more exercise and get in better shape again. It is hard to do because the pills I now take for my heart make me tired and lazy. I have to fight against it to get moving. I have gotten some canning and dehydrating done this month, it is just not necessary to do a whole lot of it. I canned some carrots and dehydrated some mushrooms and zucchini.

      Delete