Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Today's Little Harvest

I just plain have no time to blog lately and there really is nothing to blog about anyway...until I picked a few things from the garden today and even that is not exactly "news worthy" but here they are anyway. Just two little cauliflower heads and a few broccoli side shoots.

I am going to put these together with the two little heads of broccoli that was my last harvest and they will make enough vegetables for one meal.
I was going to pick one of the turnips (I have a whole 3) but decided to let it grow a bit longer.
There not much else going on. I have pineapple wine in the bucket. I thought it would be hard to get it to ferment but it is fermenting like crazy.
I racked the pink lemonade wine again and it is clearing nicely this time. I'm thinking once it is racked one more time it will be ready. The apple wine turned out pretty good after all. I guess it just had to set a few days after I opened it.
I am not sure that I mentioned the two new additions to our house here on blogspot. I found these dogs sitting in the middle of our dirt road and they were definitely starving. I found out later that their owners were some neighbors who got in a fight and ended up in jail for the fight and "other" charges. They are extremely needy and quite attached to me already.


We have not named them yet. It is a boy and girl so I am thinking of keeping with our stupid love theme that we have with Romeo and Juliet and naming them Samson and Delilah.
They have issues since they were kept outside in a pen outside and never really taken care of. I am working on the fleas and both need to see a vet and have their nails groomed.
Anyway, so now I have two sets of dogs to walk. Plus take care of Dukey who is getting old and having issues himself. Plus the other animals to take care of, then practice my violin and tin whistle, take Michelle to school and back, figure out supper and then go to work myself. So my time is a little limited lately but I'll get on here when I can.

15 comments:

  1. Hi, just found your blog - I have a lot of catching up to do ! I used to have a smallholding (homestead) where I rescued animals, but that is gone now sadly. Bless you for taking in those two dear dogs, you are a very kind lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had such harvests right now. I'm itching to get back into the garden. But we got dusted with snow again last night and winter doesn't look like it is going anywhere soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! - have never grown cauliflower. That looks wonderful.

    Glad to see the dogs are settling in. The black one is quite good looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she is a pretty dog but very active. The little brown one is the one who steals hearts. He looks at you with that skinny body but huge eyes and then low-crawls to you.

      Delete
  4. wow fresh cauliflower in February...so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They always say that if you want a job done soon, ask a busy person to do it. Your situation confirms this! What do you think is the long-term future for those dogs? Will the owners want them back when they come out of jail, I wonder? Just hope they don't accuse you of stealing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The owners have been evicted and I doubt they will come back for the dogs.

      Delete
  6. 'God will never give you more than you can handle'. Good onya Becky for taking the 2 strays in and not looking the other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were in the middle of the road and would not move, lol, but when I saw how hungry they were I just couldn't leave them.

      Delete
  7. Hi Becky, I'm with you. Sometimes I just don't have anything to blog about or I get to lazy. Proof? I haven't worked on my journal for a week and now I have to try and remember everything I did. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becky,

    Sometimes life just gets in the way, and we don't have time to blog. Your blogger friends understand totally.

    That is some really nice cauliflower you harvested and broccoli pieces. This year, I'm going to try broccoli in the garden.

    Thank you for picking up these dogs and giving them a homes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fingers crossed your two new arrivals have been spayed and/or neutered Becky, finally I assume the time from your head hitting the pillow and going to the land of nod is what about 5 minutes?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely cauliflower and broccoli!I like Samson and Delilah for names!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Becky just wondering how these two not so new arrivals are faring lately? I was thinking of them recently. Our dear old dog Woolley had become very ill very quickly and of course it was over a weekend so no Vets readily available. We persevered with the old darling till Monday morning and because he was a big dog and we could not move him without adding to his severe pain we asked the Vet do do a house call. Turned out our poor old fella had collapsed vertebrae in his neck (hence his constant pain and agony) and he had suffered a stroke. We decided the kindest and the last thing we could do for our faithful friend and family member was to put him to sleep. All this happened a month ago and last weekend purely by chance I was looking at the classifieds and there was a dog for sale cheaply not too far from us. My husband (he is a dog obedience trainer) picked him up only a few days ago. The dog's name is Salem and he is a Dobermann x Kelpie so he is a medium size dog and he has done some obedience training but my huz said he was living in absolute squalor and the owners decided they didn't want him any more. Salem is very thin and shies at everything but he is a lovely natured animal. Although he thinks our other dog's food and the 2 cat's food is fair game at the moment. He has completed our family :-)
    PS Sorry for the extra long reply but I know you'll understand being an animal lover yourself :-)

    ReplyDelete