Sunday, July 9, 2023

Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes...

 So far my 9 plants have produced 62 tomatoes and the plants are still loaded with green ones. They don't all ripen at once and a lot of them are still on the windowsill getting their last bit of red. I am picking them a little early this year because there is a caterpillar (or worm of some kind) making holes in the red ones. 
Now we have used several in salads (along with the garden lettuce and cucumbers) and on hamburgers but that still leaves a lot and I wait until I have a decent bunch and cook them up for Phil. We usually buy canned tomatoes because Phil likes them in his spaghetti and mac n' cheese and a few other things. Of course, the fresh ones are just so much better.




So you start by putting them in boiling water for a few minutes and getting the peel off. Peeling tomatoes such a messy job! 



Then I added a little salt and cooked them in the pan until they were nice and juicy but still had some form. Our tomatoes this year are mostly Roma with a few Homestead. The Roma's worked really well and I think we will stick with those from now on. 




That's pretty much all there is to it. Let them cool a bit, put them in containers and pop them in the fridge. 




Yes, just three containers this time but that is 3 cans of tomatoes that I didn't have to buy at the store and those tomatoes sitting on my island didn't go to waste. I imagine by this weekend I will have so many tomatoes that I will have to do it all again. I love putting up things from the garden even if it is just three containers of tomatoes.

Remember make the most of what you have. 




No comments:

Post a Comment