Sunday, July 2, 2023

Sauerkraut Day

 I haven't made sauerkraut in a very long time but my little garden produced four cabbages this year and while we LOVE cabbage, my digestion doesn't love it as much so I eat it on Saturday because I don't go back to work until Monday. This week I had a nice big cabbage harvested but we had a lot to do Saturday and we just didn't get around working it into our meal. So today it started its journey into becoming sauerkraut. 
The recipe link is there on the right under No Crock Sauerkraut or you can just click here. Making sauerkraut in a jar is simple and easy. There were no pictures of me making it on that link so I decided to take some this time. 
So here is our cabbage fresh from the garden with the outside leaves stripped off. 



Here it is all cut up. I, for some reason, could not find my grater anywhere so ended up having to use my old Oster meat slicer. Seriously it worked great and I probably would do the same next time. 



This is where the salt is added and the cabbage is allowed to rest for about an hour. Then it is just put in the jars add cold water and put on the lids and leave it for 6-8 weeks before you can it. I got 8 jars from just one cabbage. 




I was going to can some carrots I had as well (leftovers from a barbeque we had) but I am out of jars at the moment. Maybe I'll run to the store. Never can have too many jars. 




2 comments:

  1. Do you have to burp the jar during the fermentation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you shouldn't have to mess with it at all.

      Delete